PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Cylinders

Buster Brown
10-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Just wanted to share my newly powder coated Mugen cylinders. Left is the ATC/TRX '85-'89 version. Right is a '85 CR verion. Can't wait to ride'm. I have extra head gaskets for the (non o-ring) ATC/TRX '85-'89 jug if and when a rebuild is necessary. I had the gaskets reproduced, but they were very pricey. Let me know if anyone needs one. Please feel free to post any Mugen eye candy.

155808 155809

*PC BEFORE CURE*

*AFTER CURE*

Working from my phone, sorry if the pics are arranged funny...

ezmoney1979
10-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Wow! Those look great! Thanks for sharing. :beer

Dirtcrasher
10-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I'm confused. The 2 cylinders PC'd look amazing!!

Then the Mugen pic looks like before cooking but hoe did you separate the "MUGEN" from the powder; or it appears to be.

Great work as usual Andy.........

Dee -Pa wants me to make a flange for his Mugen cylinder to use the Honda port thats bolted on. Maybe for his PT Hi rev pipe??
You may already have the fix, IDK. But, he claims he needs one.

Buster Brown
10-14-2012, 04:55 PM
DC,
I used a soft square eraser with 3M easy release masking tape. I just use the masking tape upside down using the square edge of the eraser to dab flat on the ebossed logo. It pulls the powder off on the tape with a very steady hand (no coffee today, lol). First time trying this method, worked great. Took a few tries, but came out real decent.
I don't have the exhaust flange fab'd yet for the '85 CR cyl. Pete B. (Pilot) from the UK has done one. Looks like a bit of work, but no means supper hard. He used a aftermarket bilit pieced, modified to fit. I've got the same flange to get working on.... Let me know if you figure something else out.

El Camexican
10-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Do you recall the baking temperature that the powder you used had to be at? Is it just standard powder, or high temp? My local guy's oven only goes up to 400F so I'm limited on powders. I'd like to do an engine in the near future and am hoping that a 380 to 400F powder is ok to use on a head and cylinder. Thanks.

poohbee1
10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
looking very nice Whats it look like on the inside compared to stock?

Buster Brown
10-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Do you recall the baking temperature that the powder you used had to be at? Is it just standard powder, or high temp? My local guy's oven only goes up to 400F so I'm limited on powders. I'd like to do an engine in the near future and am hoping that a 380 to 400F powder is ok to use on a head and cylinder. Thanks.

This metallic bronze color is rated "high temp"(500°) and has a cure schedule of 30min. @ 450°.

Buster Brown
10-18-2012, 04:37 AM
looking very nice Whats it look like on the inside compared to stock?

The porting is much better as well as larger cooling jackets. I'm on my wife's phone here and can't post any more pics till the 22nd. Otherwise I'd show the more advanced porting. No operating PC in our office anymore, and I went over my droid's data plan for this month :-( ... post more pics later.

Thanks for all the kind encouraging words. Positive reactions make things that much more fun to do!