PDA

View Full Version : One way clutch replacement for dummies.

frauke75
10-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Hi, I have a '85 250es that I think needs the one way clutch replaced.

It will engage a real kick start one out of 7 times, the other times I just hear something spin.
I have not noticed the whirling and click sound when motor is turned off or the down hill costing thing but then again it has been a while and I will need to check for them (I do not doubt they will be there now that I know what to pay attention to). The starter works but I do not bother with a battery because it kicks over EZ when it engages.

Anyway I am OK mechanically but by no means a gear-head so was hoping for some strait forward advice on how to replace this. Just not wanting to start this and run into something unexpected.
I have the manual and can see how to take off the right side cover but then it gits into things I do not think I need to do. ...then later talks about the one way clutch. So I got a bit lost.

I guess I need to know what I will need to buy.
So far I am thinking: one way clutch, right side case gasket, new oil and filter, anything else?
Also will I need any special tools?
Is there anything I should be looking for while in there if something else is worn (what and how to check).
Is there anything else I should service while in there. (I saw that the oil filter screen which I will pull and clean).
Will I need to adjust the clutch when I am done?

I guess I am just looking for the tips you would offer someone doing this for the first time.

Any and all advice and/or warnings will be appreciated.
… or just a kick in the butt (I do tend to over think)

Thanks,
Jake

tri again
10-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Sometimes we wind up in projects like this.

I just went around and round with an sx shift linkage prob.

Try the search key.

That way you'll get page after page on the topic
in one fell swoop.

Pls let us know what you find.

Any one of us could be next.

Flyingw
10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Its pretty straight forward. You will need a 27mm socket (I think but I can check) to remove the nut on the centifical clutch. ITS REVERSE THREAD so keep that in mind. Take it off with an impact. Remove the clutch hub, remove and replace the one way bearing. Be sure to note the "side out" on the bearing. Reinstall the clutch hub and tighten up the nut with the impact.

Since your in there, you might as well replace the regular clutch plates and it it were me, id replace the centrifical clutch shoes. Less than a couple hundred dollars to spruce up the clutches. Change the oil and filter, as you mentioned and it would also be a good time to drain and refill the differential.

frauke75
10-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks!... Will I need a gear puller? Will the impact not just spin the clutch when I try to take it off? ... do I need to hold it somehow?
Are the any other seal, rings gaskets I might need other than the right side case gasket.
I would like not to have to wait for another parts order after I get this opend up.

I did try to listen for the "whirling and click" that has been discribed. Funny though...only 2nd time I started it this year (w/ kick) and it fired right up and never spun loose I tride it several times and worked every time. When I turned it off with the switch... I did hear a very faint spinning sound that lasted a only sec then stoped but no click.
I still plan on replacing the one way clutch because it does usualy slip when I try to kick it over... must have just got lucky last time.

Thanks,
Jake

oscarmayer
10-12-2012, 12:40 PM
in my sig is a link to download manuals for the trikes. check it out and use the factory manual to do the work.

frauke75
10-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks, but I have the manual.
I was just looking for a bridge between the manual and my abilities, available tools, and what I was able to find on this site.
... and maybe some tips from someone who might have done it before.
I did not know if this is more complicated than it looks. I don't want to start something I should not have.
No big warnings so I will just give it a go and see.

Thanks all

Flyingw
10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Using the impact will take the nuts right off. I just hold the clutch with my hand when I hit it with the impact. Other than an impact and socket, no special tools are needed. It really is pretty simple.

frauke75
10-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Flyingw!