PDA

View Full Version : Neutral switch problem.

ATCcountryboy
10-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Hey guy's, haven't been on here in a while. I am having a problem with the neutral switch, the neutral light doesn't come on whenever I turn the key and it won't let me start my bigred. I have to turn the key halfway back in order to start it. Any idea of what the problem might be? I hope I'm making sense, let me know if you need more details. Thanks.

Flyingw
10-08-2012, 10:48 PM
It's a bad keyswitch. Es or SX?

tri again
10-09-2012, 02:14 AM
That neutral safe sw is a simple ground.
so if you can touch the wire from the n.s.sw to the engine case it should light up
your neutral light, if the battery is good.
It will also run that way but WILL start in gear.
With no battery, the neut light should flicker when you kick it.

x2 w/ FW btw.
The es had a goofy looking fuse by the regulator that will kill everything.
sx has a 'normal' fuse.

There was also a great writup on ignition switches.
See if the search key works.
I had one that needed to be backed off a few degrees but got lucky by
spraying computer contact cleaned around the bottom of the switch where the
fat solder contacts are.

ATCcountryboy
10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
It's a bad keyswitch. Es or SX?It's a 86' ES.

Flyingw
10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
One thing you may try is to remove the key switch from the dash and submerge it in to a container with rubbing alcohol. Let it soak for a few minutes. Remove it and insert the key. Exercise the switch back and forth with the key. Drop it back in the alcohol. Remove it and blow it out with air. This process helps remove corrosion on the electrical contacts in the switch.

Flyingw
10-09-2012, 10:35 AM
You can buy a new switch on eBay for less than 50.00. I just bought two for my SXs.

Flyingw
10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
And they are ES switches....

oscarmayer
10-09-2012, 10:40 AM
i will post my write up on rebuilding your key switch when i get ome. i keep forgetting. it walks you through step by step on rebuilding your key switch. when done, it works like new.