PDA

View Full Version : 85 200X Sprocket Hub Play

RodKnockRacing
09-27-2012, 10:28 AM
So the other day I was riding and I shifted into 4th gear and pop there goes the chain. It came off and ruined my sprocket cover I figured out it was because of a worn rear sprocket, but i was wondering how much play should there be in the sprocket hub? I can clearly wiggle it back and forth. I was also wondering is it possible to use nuts and bolts to attach the sprocket to the hub instead of the threaded pins?

oldskool83
09-27-2012, 10:54 AM
its normal, they are all like that even from new i was told. reason i got away from and run 250R axles now. some are more worn then others. i dont see why you cant use nuts and bolts in stread of the dumb sprocket bolts that just round off in the chanel. if you use steel sprockets and those chancel bolts maybe you could get them welded in place but im not sure how they work since i threw all my stuff away and run a way different style now.

i think this rear sprocket ordeal is one of the wosrt things the 200x has going for it. experiment and see what you come up with, cant be any worse then it is already. if theres too much play you might be able to wrap the springs with plumbers tape or somthing that will not harm the splines. just dont weld it on place, you wont even get axle out then, see that too many times.

yaegerb
09-27-2012, 11:10 AM
That rear sprocket must have been really worn. As Oldskool stated above, play in that sprocket is normal. Its the nature of the design which is lackluster at best. You can experiment with different setups, I am sure you can come up with something better. I also agree that you need to go back with steel sprockets as they seem to hold up better/longer.

RodKnockRacing
09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
154798 Thought id show what my sprocket looks like. Thanks for the input guys im gonna figure something out. Im gonna put a new steel sprocket and chain on it and try bolting the sprocket to the hub, and try to get the play out of the hub.

yaegerb
09-27-2012, 12:49 PM
yeah, that sprocket was beyond worn. The normal play combined with those worn teeth is what popped off your chain.

RodKnockRacing
09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
yeah, that sprocket was beyond worn. The normal play combined with those worn teeth is what popped off your chain.
yeah I wish i would of replaced it before it destroyed my sprocket cover. On the up side it didnt hurt the case