PDA

View Full Version : couple of tri z questions

beadle
09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
1 if the frame vin has a 38w and an f and the motor is a 1rx does that make it an 85 1/2? i have a red frame and black plastics with silver wheels

2 supposedily there is a 300 kit in it, is there anything i should look for to tell me that, it does have a dg pipe on it.

3 does anybody make a full gasket kit for it seems like everything is leaking oil

thanks for your help eric

XxMurdocxX
09-26-2012, 05:07 PM
You can still get a complete gasket for it. As for the vin here is a decoder link http://decodemyvin.webs.com/

03 ORANGE SHEE
09-26-2012, 05:35 PM
1rx means it has a 1986 six speed in it.

beadle
09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
just took motor out 1rx base the intake,cylinder, and head have 38w on them. when i drained the oil it looked like choclate milk so it sounds like im gonna do a complete tear down to see what i got. according to the piston number it has a 70mm piston. if there is anything ishould check or replace during the tear down please dont be afraid to chime in my cheif mechanic (ride-red-250r) only nows hondas so any info would be great thanks

RIDE-RED 250r
09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
just took motor out 1rx base the intake,cylinder, and head have 38w on them. when i drained the oil it looked like choclate milk so it sounds like im gonna do a complete tear down to see what i got. according to the piston number it has a 70mm piston. if there is anything ishould check or replace during the tear down please dont be afraid to chime in my cheif mechanic (ride-red-250r) only nows hondas so any info would be great thanks

Poppycock!!! We had a YT125 I used to play around on growing up!! LOL!

On a related note... I'm thinking milky oil caused by waterpump seal????

MTS
09-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Possibly the pump seal, check to see if the clutch cover bolt hidden behind the kicker mech is in...its often over looked..and will cause the cover gasket to leak,,and take water in if washed or rode in a puddle,,(don't ask me how i know..) pull the trans shafts apart and inspect carefully, there is one gear that is not held on with a clip and floats..take note of which way the bevel is facing on it..it can be installed backwards and cause a mess, the pump seal is tricky to install and requires a bit of finess and grease...with the pump shaft in, the crank slides out alot easier from the PTO side bearing when splitting FYI....Mag side is much tighter..check your shift shaft bore for a tight fit, if its a 6 speed take a very good look at the 3rd gear (iirc) fork...there the ones that normally wear and gaull..and cause problems...everything else is pretty straight forward..might have forgotten a few things. :beer

pcs
09-27-2012, 12:56 AM
a 70mm piston(+2mm) would make your tri z a 261cc

Bryan Raffa
09-27-2012, 07:01 AM
85 1/2 were 5 speed's and appears to have a 6 speed in it . with a older top end, pretty sure the 86 heads said 38w on them. And the cylinders also say 38w on them also .... never seen a head or a cylinder that said 1RX..

hondadozer3851
09-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Was this bike on cl

Tri-Z 250
09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
^^not anymore....MTS has pointed you in a good direction...85.5 with a 6speed tossed in....not a normal swap but a good score none the less.

beadle
09-27-2012, 09:50 PM
it was breifly i think, i was trying to get the z for a couple of weeks thru a friend of a friend. rite now shes all tore apart awaiting on gaskets for the motor. great trike just needed some tlc i think every bolt on her was only finger tight..lol

beadle
09-27-2012, 09:52 PM
it was breifly i think, i was trying to get the z for a couple of weeks thru a friend of a friend. rite now shes all tore apart awaiting on gaskets for the motor. great trike just needed some tlc i think every bolt on her was only finger tight..lol

and thankyou mts and everyone else

pcs
09-27-2012, 11:27 PM
:p good luck with your build

MTS
09-27-2012, 11:46 PM
That finger tight is about normal..haha...get a bottle of red loctite and right stuff for chassie assembly...SS bolts dont like loctite in steel frames....have that crank checked for true too..dead nuts zero is prefferd...they vibrate alot..axle nuts hate it!