PDA

View Full Version : gunna start making my own plastics

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
So I went to visit my parents yesterday I have been thinking of doin this for a while we have all of the equipment in our garage and we have been doin Harley Davidson handlebar bushings and kickstand stops but anyways if I am unable to do this at home my father said he might be able to do them at work only thing I'm really worried about is getting the color consistent I read another thread where a member started this and had the same problem I will be starting a set of tri z radio shrouds wen I get a little bit extra spending cash for materials

Mosh
09-18-2012, 10:14 AM
WHY?? There are already 2 companies making shrouds for the Z....And used OEM shrouds have come down so much in price on ebay when they pop up..

I dont get it..Why not make something that isnt available..Like the headlight plastics..Or disc and fork gaurds? why put all that effort into something already avaliable at anytime?

XxMurdocxX
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
^^ x2 injection molding dies usually take alot of money and time to produce which is why there isn't anybody making the intricate parts that are hard to find.

oldskool83
09-18-2012, 11:17 AM
i agree, no point to reinvent the wheel, make things people havent.

Xowner
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
^^ x2 injection molding dies usually take alot of money and time to produce which is why there isn't anybody making the intricate parts that are hard to find.

Because there hard to make also.

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Reason for me doin the shrouds is its all I have right now and I need a new set and I would like to make a set of fork guards but I'm just testing this out right now I'm not just jumping right into it lately we have been making poly urethane molds which we haven't had any problems using them last couple years

hublake
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
So I went to visit my parents yesterday I have been thinking of doin this for a while we have all of the equipment in our garage and we have been doin Harley Davidson handlebar bushings and kickstand stops but anyways if I am unable to do this at home my father said he might be able to do them at work only thing I'm really worried about is getting the color consistent I read another thread where a member started this and had the same problem I will be starting a set of tri z radio shrouds wen I get a little bit extra spending cash for materials

I hope whatever you make is better than your writing. I read this twice and can't find any punctuation marks.

El Camexican
09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Reason for me doin the shrouds is its all I have right now and I need a new set and I would like to make a set of fork guards but I'm just testing this out right now I'm not just jumping right into it lately we have been making poly urethane molds which we haven't had any problems using them last couple years

If you can make a set of shrouds for less that you can buy them for and of the same quality I'm gunna say that you are one talented guy.

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Its a lot better than my writing

Mosh
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I still am failing to understand..How much do materials cost? You can buy the cheaper shrouds new for $60 bucks.. The Maier shrouds are a little over 100$..What is your time worth? I honestly don't care what you do..I am sure if you have the ability to make things from plastics and mold making know-how, a lot of people would like to see other things made that are not currently available.

Guys are always looking 86 coolant bottles, and different color headlight shrouds, or sprocket covers that were plastic. There are various rubber bushings and grommets for the Z that no one can find..Someone is always looking for air intake tubes or under seat air filter boxes... The stator covers were plastic and most of those are cracked or broken with not many current replacements in great shape.. Why not put your time and investment into something you can sell and profit from with no competitive market?

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
My father can get me the materials from the company he works for cheap they specialize in plastics apoxys and carbon fiber products

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I am by no means an expert I'm still learning just figured I would try this out

oldskool83
09-18-2012, 02:50 PM
dont flame me, just seems like a talk before the walk. Theres a lot of people on this board who do great work, normaly they prove it 1st. good luck do ya, id jyst buy new ones myself lol

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone I was just looking for something to try and pass by the time just a hobby

DasUberKraut
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I run various injection molders 50+ hours a week. Good times. Hats off to ya for trying something new. Maybe we can get you to mold Honda brake lever dust boots too? Ha ha. Good luck to ya. Hope it works out for you.

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks uber I have only done a few small things like the bushings I was talking about and the kickstand stops so I hope this works out if not no big deal

jeswinehart
09-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Having made a "few" urathane molds myself, I agree with Mosh and other about reproducing some thing that is available or perhaps already being done by some one else, it would make no sense to me to do so (with exception to the 83/84 250R sliders I make ~ ebay dude don't make in OEM green and that is what sevral folks wanted so I made mold and do oem green only)
There are wayyyy to many needed parts waiting for reproduction to squander time/resources on something available.
I strongly urge every one to check out the sevral companys selling the same products that sevral of us fella's on the boards use for making molds and parts from.
BJB Enterprize, lumilite.com, Eager Polymeres, Polytek, all awesome vendors with highly skilled folks who want you too be very sucesful (and also have great "how too" videos for your amusment.
P.S. - please don't make the 86 tri-Z coolant bottles Mosh suggested, I have that mold :)

john

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I would like to make a white z headlight shroud I understand wat you guys are saying I was just using the rad shrouds as a test mold if this works I wouldn't have any problems making some of the harder to find parts

hondadozer3851
09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Also could you post a link to those vids

jeswinehart
09-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Yes, Alumilte IMO has the best "how to" and these are the folks that got me started years ago. Former owner took me right in and showed me everything to get me started.
http://www.alumilite.com/
BJB, well I have found thier resins much more compatable with my needs. Check out the tc-878,,,, that is resins straight from the Gods IMO.
http://www.bjbenterprises.com/
Polytek >>>> very good stuff http://www.polytek.com/
Couple of shots of the recently remodled "hobby" room. It seems i always have something happening in here from rotational molding, pressure casting or simple pour and/or squish molding, pleanty of options

Mosh
09-18-2012, 07:28 PM
P.S. - please don't make the 86 tri-Z coolant bottles Mosh suggested, I have that mold :)

john
Sorry John. I vaugely remember talk of that 86 coolant bottle, but was never aware it came to fruition..good to know. I had a guy needing one a few eeks ago. I will send him your way once you get ramped back up for production.

tri again
09-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone I was just looking for something to try and pass by the time just a hobby

Do what you think you can.
I read everything I could get my hands on about rags to riches and common themes
about successful people.
From visiting the garage where Hewlett Packard started to Mrs Fields first cookie shop
to buying computer parts from the warehouse that Serg and Larry bought junk hard drives
and started freakin' GOOGLE!!!

Most important is to stay out of debt and be resourceful.
Whatever you're trying may not even be what you end up doing but trying is the first step.

Not to brag but I retired at age 41 and everyone, without exception, said I was nutts for even trying.

Hey, didn't mythbusters make copies of stuff with some sort of vacuum table?

Actually even remember visiting a mold shop near Hinsdale that made the caps for tic tacs.
The first design only let out one candy so some brilliant minds thought they'd sell
more if they redesigned it to allow more to come out.

Simple silly things can make a huge difference.

tri again
09-18-2012, 08:01 PM

Do what you think you can.
I read everything I could get my hands on about rags to riches and common themes
about successful people.
From visiting the garage where Hewlett Packard started to Mrs Fields first cookie shop
to buying computer parts from the warehouse that Serg and Brin bought junk hard drives
and started freakin' GOOGLE!!!

Most important is to stay out of debt and be resourceful.
Whatever you're trying may not even be what you end up doing but trying is the first step.

Not to brag but I retired at age 41 and everyone, without exception, said I was nutts for even trying.

Hey, didn't mythbusters make copies of stuff with some sort of vacuum table?

hondadozer3851
09-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks john love the set up hoping to have something similar in the future just gotta move around the toys to make room haha I will be on here picking your brain a lot

tri again thanks for the motivation

Gripit'n'ripit
09-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Seems like an interesting undertaking. Good luck to you.