PDA

View Full Version : 70 tank swap question

Jon Boy
09-14-2012, 04:54 PM
i've searched and looked around, can't seem to find exactly what i'm looking for.

will a 2gen 70 tank fit on a 1gen 70? or vise versa. i don't mind a little modding if needed to fit. i'm thinking they should, but don't know if the mount locations are basicly the same or if the fork/bars might hit. also wondering what other non-atc tanks might fit if anyone happens to know. :beer

John jr
09-15-2012, 01:39 AM
It will work, Newer tank on 73, 74 frame. You'll have to lower front tank mounts about 3/8", use new posts big enough for late model tank rubbers. Also need to make rear tank mount like whats used on the newer tank and weld on frame keeping as low as you can, that way seat will work as is. I have a 74 on my build table now, so I went out and placed an 85 tank on it.

Jon Boy
09-15-2012, 02:10 AM
cool, thanks. figured i could shim up the old posts with some rubber tubing for the size differance, but do they have to be moved? i don't want to mod the frame if it's not really nessesary, i want to keep the frame original as i can. :beer

John jr
09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
If you don't lower front of tank, the fork triple tree will hit the top of the gas tank. And the back of tank will have to mount as said above so seat will work. Only the front half of the stock combo mount, "back ot tank, front of seat"has to be changed to mount the back of later model tank. Keep this new mount as low as you can so seat slides on easy. Once you set the new tank on old frame you'll see what I'm talking about.

Jon Boy
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
ok, that would answer everything sofar then. not too crazy about modding the frame, but if it needs it then it'll have to be done. doing the back mount is no problem i think since i made my own mount for the original tank and it happens to sit a bit low anyway, so hopefully i can work with that.

thanks John jr. :beer