PDA

View Full Version : Putting 200x case back together transmission question....

PAPA250r
09-13-2012, 12:31 AM
In the process of putting my 200x engine back together via the manual . I am checking to see if the transmission shifts properly before i go ahead and install the top end and stuff question is does the engine have to be running to shift properly ?

It dosent seem to shift as easly just turning the transmission by hand and moving the shift lever .

Wondering if the shafts need to be spinning real fast for the gears to shift normally ?

Thanks for any advice

Scootertrash
09-13-2012, 08:05 AM
The transmission will shift easier when the machine is running. I put some type of protection over the connecting rod (a piece of the proper sized rubber hose works good) so it's not banging around in the opening for the cylinder, turn the crankshaft by hand and shift thru the gears. Did you put a coating of oil on the transmission gear shafts and bushings before you reassembled them?

The lugs on the gears need to line up before it will engage the gear. If everything spins freely and you can get it to shift fairly easily you should be good to go.

Qdude79
09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Agreed. It won't "fall" into gear like it does when running, but I didn't experience any sort of "binding," if that's what you're asking.

PAPA250r
09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks . I can get it to shift through the gears just feels a lot different and not as smooth to shift

yaegerb
09-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks . I can get it to shift through the gears just feels a lot different and not as smooth to shift

It won't be until you button the cases back up. Don't forget to use assembly lube on all of your gears, fork shaft and especially your shift drum. Once you get the case halves back together and all of the right side case components (i.e. drum star, plunger and shift shaft) turn it upright and shift through the gears. There should be no binding and ensure you can find neutral with no problem. At least at that point its easier to get back into the transmission if there is a problem. Also ensure that your tick marks are lined up correctly on the kickstarter shaft...I made that mistake once and it cost me a lot of time/pain.

shortline10
09-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Hope you looked at all the shift forks real good ? Any shiny spots on the fork ends will let you know if their worn or bent .

PAPA250r
09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
yes i did :) . well like you guys said after it was together it does shift like butter . got it all together and hope to install the engine monday got my fingers crossed ...lol basically a full top and bottom end rebuild .