PDA

View Full Version : 350X clutch removal

DIGGER DOG
11-29-2003, 10:12 PM
could somone shed a little more light on getting the ring off the lock nut I thought i would put a cutting disc on my dremel and cut it off but i dont want to bugger the threads is there a simple way to get this welded thing off??

DIGGER DOG
11-29-2003, 10:42 PM
never mind that 1st post that is simple .
how in the hell do I keep the whole assy from spinning in the basket so I can get the nut off??

ScottZJ
11-29-2003, 10:53 PM
You can do either of 2 ways.....either use an impact to get it off.(cuz it will spin fast enough to get it loose) Or take the opposite side case off and hold the bolt on the other side. Howard and myself used the impact and it worked perfectly, cuz I didnt want to take the other side case off, If I could help it........peace

DIGGER DOG
11-29-2003, 11:02 PM
are you talking about the impact driver that tou use a hammer with or pnematic run by air compressor ?

ScottZJ
11-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Oh sorry but use the air impact gun to get it off. Like this one. :-D

DIGGER DOG
11-29-2003, 11:19 PM
out standing Ive got one at work and I need a 27mm socket any ways .
when ya got it all back together you didnt have any probs it tourqed it down good? and this is a lefty loosie righty tighty deal right no backwards threads?

hrc200x
11-29-2003, 11:26 PM
the countershaft turns when you turn the large clutch nut, so you might be able to put a sprocket on it and a pair of vice grips on the sprocket, or if the engine is still in the frame put it in gear and make sure the drive chain is hooked up. This nut is normal threads, the large nut on the end of the crank is left handed threads. I used a small screw driver to pound out the locking part of the nut.

200xman
11-30-2003, 12:20 AM
When I did my clutch I put the bike in a high gear and stood on the brakes to keep the shaft from turning. Worked like a charm.

DIGGER DOG
11-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all your in put guys all great ideas.
since I have an air compressor and an impact wrench at work or can borrow father in laws Im going to try that route .
If it doesent work there are plenty of ideas the rest of you guys gave that it should not be a problem
Thanks.

350x'inNY
11-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Lil off topic, BUT I had my clutch replaced at a local shop here and when they were done they called me and said they couldn't get it to start. So I figured they were just 350X rookies. I went over there and kicked and kicked and kicked too. I was :evil:

I told them "Do you think I'd worry about a clutch if it wouldn't start?? Didn't you start it to move it to the garage?? they said 'yep'" They told me that the work they did had NOTHING to do on it starting. They then went and checked my valves, cleaned my carb and petcock, and changed the spark plug, etc. Said everything looked great. Still wouldn't start. Told me that it must be in the stator. I went and picked up the bike. Would start great if I pushed and popped the clutch. Finally I looked at a friends 350X.

They put the compression release mechanism rotated 180º from where it should be on the kicker shaft. SOOOOooooo..... When you first started to kick, it was under full compression and when you got to tords the end of the kick, it had the valve open. Needless to say, I'm still not happy with that shop!

Moral of the story - Line up the notch correctly when putting the compression release mech back on!

Bruce

bobr
11-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Try holding the clutch assy. with a penny or a piece of soft copper wedged between the gears. It will jam it right up so that you can tighten the nut. Its soft enough not to damage or even mark anything. Bob

DIGGER DOG
11-30-2003, 11:56 AM
:-D damn Bruce what a bummer .
Im actually going step by step with the book by the book as I am not an ace mechanic, honda is good about putting little dots on every thing so its like connect the dots .Im taking my time on this one I kinda rushed the 200X but I dont have any $$$$ so this will probably take a year or even two I plan on getting some hi dollar parts ie full exhaust extended axle+bearing carrier most likely some 10 inch rims +turf tamers but I may keep the super swampers on though

Mobular
11-30-2003, 12:58 PM
The penny trick works great!

ScottZJ
11-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Not to laugh at you Bruce ...lol but Howard and I did the same exact thing when you put it back together. But we only had a couple bolts on when we noticed it..........peace

350x'inNY
11-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Well.... my bike got a tune-up and check up for FREE! :-D And they ended up only charging me like $90 for the parts and all their labor. PLUS they gave a great deal on a new helmet for my troubles!!! This was all when I first got my bike. Since then, I bought the HONDA SERVICE MANUAL and have done my own wrenching! ;)

Scott.... any news on that seat????

Bruce

ScottZJ
11-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Nope, Bruce....he just emailed me today telling me he would get a shipping price monday or tuesday. So once I finally get a price, I can send him the money and then he can ship it. Might be ChrisTmas before I get it, esp since holiday shipping can be a bear.........peace