PDA

View Full Version : Ezmoneys new 500 Tecate

ezmoney1979
09-10-2012, 09:38 PM
How much is it worth? What oil should I use? Can I fit a backhoe motor in it? Fabio D, where you at?

Ok, with that out of the way.................

Here it is covered in dust fresh out of the back of my truck.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/kxt500001.jpg

I got some of the dust off and took a few more pics. I can't wait to tear into this thing and do some polishing.
1988 KX500, Northwest sleeved, Wiseco, dune/top end port, 41mm Mikuni (I hate Mikunis lol), decompression built into the cylinder actuated by a lever on the bars, Pro Circuit works pipe cut and rotated then ceramic coated, White Bros rear shock, +2 Calfab extended 6 inches, some pretty cool hubs (not sure what they are) mint OEM shrouds, great OEM rear fenders................ but a lot of work ahead of me. It needs a tank, fork seals, headlight shroud, and I'm sure a hundred other things I'm not seeing. Maybe this winter I will do a full tear down and make it look as stock as possible. I want it to match my 87.
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500005.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500010.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500006.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500011.jpg

I can't wait to beat up on some Hondas :beer

dcreel
09-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Very nice.. The shock is a White Power shock.. or WP as it is now.. European, they come on KTM's. Probably had a rebuild by White Bros.

You happen upon some of the craziest stuff in Oregon.. Living by the dunes must be nice.. Will you try to put a headstay on it?

bkm
09-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I love everything except the fact that someone hacked up a Cal-Fab. Very cool none the less and I imagine the decomp makes life much easier.

hondawasaki
09-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Very cool Man. Can't wait to see the progress!

zmpolaristech
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
WOW, killer bike man!

yaegerb
09-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Very killer indeed. I also second bkm's post. Who in the hell chops a calfab? :(

ezmoney1979
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Very killer indeed. I also second bkm's post. Who in the hell chops a calfab? :(
I agree. However, the previous owner owned/operated a local ATV shop back in the day and was a Tecate fan. He had the best of all the old school parts so it was no big deal to him. He said he built a few of these chopped Calfabs and sold them to duners. I know......... kinda heart breaking.

yaegerb
09-11-2012, 12:04 AM
I guess "back in the day", when they were plentiful, it didn't matter.

ezmoney1979
09-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Very nice.. The shock is a White Power shock.. or WP as it is now.. European, they come on KTM's. Probably had a rebuild by White Bros.

You happen upon some of the craziest stuff in Oregon.. Living by the dunes must be nice.. Will you try to put a headstay on it?
Thanks Doug! The decal on the reservoir says both WP and White Bros so I just called it WB to be more "politically correct" lol. I do plan on either adding a head stay to this frame or completely redoing another frame I am getting and gusset it. At least it has the lower mount in place.

Very cool Man. Can't wait to see the progress!
You do realize this is all your fault I hope! I watched the video of your 500 flying past everything on the sand and was very impressed!! I have known about this Tecate for a few years so I had to go make a deal on it. Thanks for the compliments guys!

ezmoney1979
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Started cleaning it up a little tonight. The pipe is much nicer than I first thought it was. Silencer needs help though-

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500013.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500015.jpg

falloutboy
09-11-2012, 12:45 AM
WOW! That is awesome that you finally picked that up. I know you will make it purty :D (...and then let me ride it :D ) WTG EZMoney!

TatTooL23
09-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Nice man. What is the frame like where the spark plug is? Does that need to get modded?

Y do u say u need a headlight shroud?? I c one on it.

ONEBAD350X
09-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Very killer indeed. I also second bkm's post. Who in the hell chops a calfab? :( that does suck cool bike man

R-tifacts
09-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Very nice find. The previous owner put some love into it, alot of nice fab work. Now shine her up and sling some roost!

fabiodriven
09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Nice man. What is the frame like where the spark plug is? Does that need to get modded?

Y do u say u need a headlight shroud?? I c one on it.

You do have to dimple the frame slightly to have plug access.

I'm posting from my phone EZ so I can't see the pics of the bike yet. I will comment on it later. :-)

fabiodriven
09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Oop! I see it now! Nice find man!

thestud25
09-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Nice trike EZ!! I don't feel that anyone butchered the swingarm. They made it fit the purpose they needed. I can't wait to see some vids of it tearing up the dunes!!

fabiodriven
09-11-2012, 12:09 PM
You have the same compression release I had installed in my cylinder. That thing is an absolute lifesaver.

What's the story on the pipe? Did someone have it built for the bike or is is altered to fit?

ezmoney1979
09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
You have the same compression release I had installed in my cylinder. That thing is an absolute lifesaver.

What's the story on the pipe? Did someone have it built for the bike or is is altered to fit? The pipe is an old PC "works" that he had bought then he cut it and rotated it down to clear the radiator. Looks like some nice work done to the stinger also, it's stepped.
The guy was a very good fabricator/welder.

Mr. Clean
09-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Very cool. Back in March of 2010 I bought a 250r in AZ. The owners were from Oregon and were friends with the builder of this trike. They sent me pics and a price but shipping etc would have been too much. Glad to see someone on here get and do something with it!!!

hondawasaki
09-11-2012, 11:16 PM
you do realize this is all your fault I hope! I watched the video of your 500 flying past everything on the sand and was very impressed!! I have known about this Tecate for a few years so I had to go make a deal on it. Thanks for the compliments guys!

Finally I inspired someone! J/k. take some more pics, I'd love to see the mods that were made when these bikes were mainstream. I know what I did, and i'm curious if builds are similar. What do the engine mounts look like? looks like it had a vacuum port for a fuel pump on it at one time, then removed and rewelded, or is that just my mind playing tricks. (on the side of the reedcage casting) if it had a fuel pump, it may have been running alcohol at one time. toss that mikuni, and get a lectron, or 41 pwk. mine is a 44mm lectron. there is a guy on kxriders.com selling a 41 pwk, and a v-force3 reed setup.

hondawasaki
09-11-2012, 11:19 PM
oh BTW that kicker looks NASTY.........no way in hell I'd attempt to kick mine with a sloped kicker. I just vision bleeding bloody leg gashes, kicking a 500 should never be taken lightly, even with a comp release.

broncobeast32
09-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Looks like you could use a new durablue axle, just saying.

brapp
09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
mannnnnn this make sme want to finish buildign my t-3 500 i started a few years back.

fabiodriven
09-12-2012, 09:44 AM
oh BTW that kicker looks NASTY.........no way in hell I'd attempt to kick mine with a sloped kicker. I just vision bleeding bloody leg gashes, kicking a 500 should never be taken lightly, even with a comp release.

With that compression release it literally kicks over like a 125. I don't know if you've ever tried one, but I was blown away when I first tried mine. The guy who installs them said it would kick over like a 125 after he installed it and I was like "Ya, OK buddy". Well he wasn't lying. As a matter of fact, I'm actually going to use the Tecate kicker on mine which is substantially shorter because it's that easy to kick.

mi500
09-13-2012, 09:45 PM
i dont care that it has a modded cal fab. That thing was modded when trikes were mainstream and i was in diapers. now that its yours i say only do maintance that is needed to keep it a runner and then use it to kisk ass where ever you can.

3Razors
09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
The pipe job is one of the better ones I've seen. Be careful with the powervalves on the 88 motor, they are long discontinued and not easy to come by.

ezmoney1979
09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
They sent me pics and a price but shipping etc would have been too much.

It cost me 48 cents in gas to go get it and it still was too much for me........... but I had to have it lol.

looks like it had a vacuum port for a fuel pump on it at one time, then removed and rewelded, or is that just my mind playing tricks. (on the side of the reedcage casting) if it had a fuel pump, it may have been running alcohol at one time.
Good eye!! Nothing gets by you guys. I remember him telling me thats why the gas tank was so dry and brittle.
So I got some more progress made and took pics. The frame has a few small cracks in the typical areas and has had the upper brace removed. I am gonna run it for a weekend or two as is while I build up another frame for it. I have a nice OEM rear fender brace, OEM seat, front fender and some other parts I'm working at putting on but there are lots of small details that still need worked out.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500001-1.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500005-1.jpg

A better look at the decompression setup.
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500004.jpg

The pipe cleaned up great. Whatever it was coated with polishes like aluminum with Mothers polish.
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500006-1.jpg

There in lies a 40 over Wiseco, fresh bore, zero hours, as advertised!
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500008.jpg

ezmoney1979
09-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I forgot to mention that he tossed me a shroud, in the OEM packaging, and I got very excited thinking it was the right side he had been looking for............ but nope, just another left. I have a pile of left side shrouds.........
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500012.jpg

Then as I pulled into my driveway with the Tecate in the back of my truck, my neighbor says "I got something that might interest you"
1980 Fall issue of 3wheeling!
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500011-1.jpg
The trike universe was aligned that day for EZ :beer

dcreel
09-18-2012, 04:43 PM
You can't beat that with a stick... sweet..

TecateDan
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Ahem.. you mean on our 500 buddy!!!

With that compression release it literally kicks over like a 125. I don't know if you've ever tried one, but I was blown away when I first tried mine. The guy who installs them said it would kick over like a 125 after he installed it and I was like "Ya, OK buddy". Well he wasn't lying. As a matter of fact, I'm actually going to use the Tecate kicker on mine which is substantially shorter because it's that easy to kick.

Team ATC
09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
dude im so jealous i have an atc 500 frame i want to build with all oldschool parts make it look like it belongs in the dunes in the 80s lol nice find thats too cool and as far as the cal fab they did a nice job extending it and its prolly the only one around

lazybiker79
09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
:D nice tecate 500.. All you need is a compression release in the head.

jb104
09-22-2012, 12:09 PM
I think that you scored a good one. You can tell they had some good skills. What shop did the guy used to own? Was it in Central Point? Back in 85 my friend lived off of Tolo rd. right by Blackwell hill he had 2 brand new Tecate's. Used to ride right next to the freeway in the fields.

ezmoney1979
11-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I think that you scored a good one. You can tell they had some good skills. What shop did the guy used to own? Was it in Central Point? Back in 85 my friend lived off of Tolo rd. right by Blackwell hill he had 2 brand new Tecate's. Used to ride right next to the freeway in the fields.
This was more than likely the same people. Their name was Mcgrath Racing. He bought the first two 1986 Tecates that came into the valley. This is one of them, and I picked it up on Tolo Rd. Small world..........

Ok guys, I got some progress made! I put a new Clark gas tank on my 87 threw the old one on the 500. I tried to revive two different OEM front master cylinders, but they were too far gone (I wish I could get back the hours wasted drilling the stripped screws that hold the covers). I ended up buying a Kawasaki Prarie master because it looked close to stock and was 25 years newer. Resealed the forks, new clutch cable, chain rollers, outerwear, chain, painted some stuff blah, blah....... I polished the forks, tripples, swingarm, silencer, wheels, etc. I'm no G-King but I'm trying lol. Here's a pic of the mess.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/Tecategastank001-3.jpg
I got it put together and drug it outside and proceeded to kick it......... with a boot on of course. I left the rear fenders off knowing this was not going to be easy. I had sprayed some oil in the top end when I got it so it fired up and immediately fouled a plug. Put another plug in it and got it running. Damn this thing sounds mean, revs very quick with awesome throttle responce.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500002.jpg
It warmed up and proceeded to spring a leak from the lower radiator hose. It was also pouring oil from the countershaft as it was spinning (didnt have the chain on). I fixed those issues and put it back together-

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/KXT500001.jpg
This is where I'm at now (damn I need a decent camera). I still need to get my other G-Force hubs put on to make it a bit wider (I will probably sell these). I'm fairly certain the compression release is not working, I wore myself out kicking it. The cable looks a bit suspect and I'm afraid to unscrew the assembly from the cylinder as it seems very tight??? What exactly moves when you pull the cable? Sounds stupid but I can't really tell what part is supposed to move. Fabio? I'm headed to the dunes in a few days to give it a shake down, wish me luck!! I will have some video for you guys if all goes well!:beer

thestud25
11-21-2012, 04:49 PM
SEXXXXXXY!! Looking good EZ!

falloutboy
11-22-2012, 04:04 AM
can't wait to see 'er

Buster Brown
11-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Awesome find and craftsmanship. Congrats! Jealous for sure.
I'd bet your CAL FAB is an A+ for the power that thing will sling. Pure old school is really fun to see. Thanks for sharing!

userj8670
11-23-2012, 11:12 AM
nice progress man! good luck

hondawasaki
11-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Any ride reports?

falloutboy
11-30-2012, 01:43 AM
he might still be in the garage...

ezmoney1979
11-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Any ride reports?
Well I will get this out of the way, ITS FAST. Not as "scary fast" as I thought it may be, but it pulls very hard with lots of topend power. It is geared pretty high (14-36) and with the sand being really tore up and its poor handling (I will get to that) it was hard to get it even into 4th. The clutch works beautifully and it launches great, sit back and wheelie every gear or lean forward and throw a roost! The rear shock is awesome, almost as good as the LT250/Tecate shock on my 87 (oh BTW the poor 87 locked up this weekend:cry:).

The bad-
The forks are messed up, I only put new seals and fluid in them and never took them apart. It feels like maybe they have been modified for less travel for drag racing??? Its a rough ride.
This thing sucks to start, to the point where I even muttered "I'm selling this thing" while I was sweating like a fat guy on a treadmill trying to kick it. I probably just dont have the feel for it yet, the compression release is working (yay!) but having size 12 riding boots on and kicking through the tunnel in the fenders it gets a bit annoying. I think any Tecate guy can relate.
It has a very badly bent rear wheel somehow, not a mark on it though???
Developed another leak in a hose, the one between the cylinder and waterpump, not a big deal but it did cut my second ride short.

About that video.............. On Friday, having never ridden this thing, I tell my three wheeled hooligan friend Bret (bretmd94) I just want to take it out for a quick ride and bring it back and look things over. He grabs his gopro and gets on his 350X to shoot the maiden voyage. I pull onto the dunes from our access and head up Saunders Hill, at the top of the hill I look down to the right (an informal drag strip) and there is the sheriff about 100 yards out. Since I just planned on going for a quick spin I never even put my flag on.......... ooops. He sees me so I turn around and head back at good pace to avoid having a conversation I was not in the mood for. We get back and the bike is leaking coolant and the weather is changing so I decide to put it up for the time being and ride my trusty 250 so we can get the most out of riding before it rains. We got four minutes of video.
It rains all day Saturday but Sunday it clears up and becomes one of the best riding days I have seen in a while. I fired up the 500 and Bret gets on his 250R (350X was way too slow for shooting video) and we head out using his gopro. We drag race here and there, having a blast in the sunshine. We record tons of footage, different roost shots, launches, high speed runs, etc. We take a break and that damn hose is leaking a little so I play it safe and head back. We get back excited to watch a little video before we go back out for another ride and Bret says "You wont believe this".................. he had left his SD card in my camera and wasnt capturing anything:cry::cry: We are in the process of completing a video from this weekend, it will have a little 500 footage in it. I hope we can get it posted up tonight!
We went back out for a short 250 shootout before Bret had to pack up and head home. We met up with falloutboy and his brother, shortly thereafter (thats right FOB, I'm blaming you), while minding my own business, my 250 decides its piston would not like to travel up and down any longer. Then while out on a ride with my wife on the beach I get a flat tire on my 450. It just wasnt my weekend for trouble free duning, it was however, very, very fun :beer

86T3
12-01-2012, 12:06 AM
One thing i ve found out in my 28 years is that fun is directly proportional to money. Gorgeous tecate, hope things go smoother next time

falloutboy
12-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Yup all my fault. lol. :D

crazyflights
12-24-2012, 01:39 PM
That is how a 500 Tecate should be. Very nice.

ezmoney1979
04-09-2016, 01:47 PM
This machine is now for sale in non running condition. I'm not going to get it in the condition it deserves to be in so I'm offering it to 3WW first. Accepting offers here before I advertise it elsewhere. The transmission locked up on it the last time I rode it. I will try to make a for sale thread in the proper forum in the next few days regarding the pros and cons of this 500. Thanks :beer

cr480r
04-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Is this on Craigslist ?

Edit: this must be a different one

https://medford.craigslist.org/snw/5468993247.html

ezmoney1979
04-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Yeah very similar. I haven't been on Craigslist in a long time. I think I have seen that other one at CP racing last year.

cr480r
07-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Any updates?

ezmoney1979
02-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Sorry for not responding to others on this much sooner. I now have the time to get back to interested parties. Don't really feel like dealing with shipping but money talks. PM me with questions/offers.
Thanks, Eric