PDA

View Full Version : looking to add a tri z to my collection

pcs
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
im going to go take a look at an 86 tri z 250 from a guy who claims his parents bought it new from the dealer, looks complete and after sitting around since the 90's he cleaned it up and it started right up. i have not seen or heard it run but i want to check it out in person and might take it if the price is right. i searched around the forum and read that they have a few problems with the kicker hitting the peg and tearing up the side cover. anything else i should look for? if i get the trike im going to try to keep it looking as original as possible but make the motor more duneable, so aggressive porting, big carb, reeds, and pipe will follow. i like my 200x but just doesnt have the power to climb up some big dunes. for those of you that have built tri z, how do they run vs a similar built honda or kawi? i know the other 2 are faster in stock trim but running similar sized carbs and pipes do the tri z respond well to aggressive style porting?
here is a pic of me on my dads tri z that he got from his friend who bought it new, that was back in 88 :cool:

Bryan Raffa
09-04-2012, 11:37 PM
your in the best place to find one the west coast.. and yes the run good with aggressive style porting and a bigger carb , after market pipe. they were know for there bottom end..

pcs
09-04-2012, 11:51 PM
thx, im going to try to look at one this weekend

XxMurdocxX
09-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Az has alot of tri z's (at least in my area) i picked 4 up already 2 85's an 85 1/2 and an 86 Plus a ton of spare parts for a grand total of.......$425

Tri-Z 250
09-05-2012, 10:04 AM
^^:lol: Not in :cry:hi:(

pcs
09-05-2012, 10:25 PM
the guy sent me the vin and i checked it on the vin check link from the site and it says its an 85 so i dont know yet. any major difference besides 5 vs 6 speed?

pcs
09-16-2012, 02:22 AM
picked up the tri z, has all the original stickers on the plastics, oem tires with the nipples on the tires, original grips, and it even has the original tool kit. the guy i got if from said his dad bought it originally for his mom to ride but after she flew off of it, it was parked and sat ever since, the off road CA stick on it says 1988. ill post some pics up tomorrow after i wash the dust off.

christph
09-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Other major differences between the 85 and 86 Z is the front suspension and airbox. They beefed up the front forks, going from 35 to 39mm, and increased the travel by an inch. The 86 airbox is more free flowing. They also stiffened up the front and rear springs. I was just riding my 86 Z yesterday. With the right set of mods you can make it competitive with the other 250s. I bought mine last year and here is what I've done:

K&N Air Filter
DG Pipe
Sprock Racing cool head
Sprock oversize intake with V-force reeds
38 mm Keihin carb
Sprock hi-flow impeller
Sprock billet clutch basket
Extended footpegs (see 3-wheeler store)
Tusk extended axle

Here are some photos. In the near future I plan on stripping it down, powder coating the motor, and painting the frame OEM "fire red."

CRAZY70MAN
09-16-2012, 08:21 AM
the guy sent me the vin and i checked it on the vin check link from the site and it says its an 85 so i dont know yet. any major difference besides 5 vs 6 speed?

Swingarm is also different between the 2 as well as the overflow bottle. Looking forward to some pics!!

pcs
09-16-2012, 05:07 PM
im posting pics on a new tread
Christph: what dg pipe do you have? i have seen a national and extreme version, what are difference between the two if you know? i looked on dgs website and saw no useful info.

christph
09-16-2012, 07:37 PM
im posting pics on a new tread
Christph: what dg pipe do you have? i have seen a national and extreme version, what are difference between the two if you know? i looked on dgs website and saw no useful info.

I have the extreme pipe. The only difference between the national and extreme versions is the chrome. It is not like one is for midrange and the other topend. If you get one, expect a fitment issue unless you are lucky. I bought the pipe and silencer at the same time and together they were too long. The silencer hung too far off the back and didn't line up with the mounts. I had to use a pipe cutter and shorten the pipe and the silencer to get them to line up. Overall not too much of a problem but it should fit without modifications.

DG just changed their website from the old one so there is not a lot of information yet, although the old one wasn't that informative either.

pcs
09-17-2012, 12:00 AM
thx for the info chris