PDA

View Full Version : YTZ250S Rear Shock + engine bearings replacement

boxburn
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Well I'm glad to finally say it but these are some of the last things on my list and my Tri Z will be ready!

Anyway, does anyone know of where I can get a rear shock for a 1986 Tri-Z or anything that will fit it? The one I currently have would rather bend outwards then compress inwards!

Also, does anyone know the bearing numbers or dimensions so I can replace all of the bearings in my engine?

Thanks for any help and I hope to be riding soon!

Dirtcrasher
08-27-2012, 04:51 PM
I forget what website with a schematic it was; But it would list - Bearing 6009 HAO XXXXXXXXXX. Others were Bearing - special.

zzmegad
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
you can use the warrior shock that has a remote reservoir or find a used Z shock; find those on ebay. Most of the bearings are for sale at Yamaha. I don't know the sizes.

Since I already have the page up here is where I sometimes order parts from http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/4542-yamaha-1986-tri-z-ytz250s/assemblies/130558#

boxburn
08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the link and is there any specific year for the warrior shock or is it any year? Sorry if this is obvious but I am very new to the trike scene!

zzmegad
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't know the years but some have the reservoir mounted on the shock, those ones wont work. It needs to be remote with the hose. Also the hose on the warrior shock is shorter then the Z so you have to mount the resi elsewhere. The warrior shock is not an exact replacement, but it works.

smiggy
08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Got a warrior shock on mine think it's 04' but might be wrong,got a tri z shock but needs rebuilding

boxburn
08-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Alright, thanks for the info!

@smiggy, I also have a Tri-Z shock so it may be worth trying to rebuild it.

Can the remote reservoir be taken off without losing its contained gas or can it be refilled if needed? If so I can probably get around buying a new shock and rebuild it.

smiggy
08-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Don't know if you can undo without losing any gas never done one but let us know how you get on.have you ridden at leisure lakes?being goin on my tri z mint!

boxburn
08-28-2012, 06:52 AM
I'll be honest, I've never ridden the thing! Found it in one of my dads units from years ago and have been getting it ready for use for the past few months, all it currently needs is suspension, paint, engine and rear axle bearings, chain and sprockets. It's very close and all I can do is try with the reservoir I suppose, if I don't try anything with it then it wont magically get better.

Tri-Z 250
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Do yourself a favor...click on this link!
http://3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?128509
also scroll down the MAIN page and look at the Frankin-Z shock mod...not to mention look for the thread Parts that swap out for Tri-Z 250