PDA

View Full Version : 86' 200x Engine Idle speed adjustment

Matrix
08-26-2012, 03:28 PM
In my manual it says to "hook up a tacometer and adjust the Throttle stop screw", but it doesn't show where or how. After doing some searching online and here I found about nothing. Although, one member here said to hook one side to the ground on the bike and the other to the plug wire. How would I do this? Should I splice the tacometer into the plug wire or am I likely missing something?

Also, could I just go by a tacometer at Advanced or is there a certain type I need. What do you use?

Lastly, yes I am typing TACOmeter. I find that amusing... :lol:

stroberts22
08-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Save alot of trouble and adjust the idle by ear. It will be close enough. You know when it's right.

yaegerb
08-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Believe it or not, I scored a old dwell/tachometer off of ebay to test mine on the first fire. Is it overkill, yes, but sooooo cool to have a reader like that. I have posted a link to one below, there is also a reference to this type of reader in your manual.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-VINTAGE-HAWK-DWELL-TACHOMETER-TESTER-742-/290765932152?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43b3000678&vxp=mtr

Matrix
08-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Save alot of trouble and adjust the idle by ear. It will be close enough. You know when it's right.

I like my 4 strokes idling low. Makes it sound more powerful I guess. Kind of like an old muscle car with a huge cam like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIALKZUnAc4 . No I don't idle it that low but I love that sound of power! I just want to see where Honda says it should be and where I like it. If I cant find anything, I'll just continue doing it by ear.

Yaegerb, that tach looks neat. I love analog stuff. Especially when there is more analog dial then necessary. There's dial for know reason and switches that do nothing and when you go WOT things start spinning and lights start flashing and that's when you know you are the cool kid on the block! Digital is so lame :( ... I would like a little one that, for fun, I could have on my bike when I am driving around. An old Honda line would be awesome like no other but so is having an extra $300 in my pocket lol ....

Right now I have the jets and what not soaking in a tin of carb cleaner but I would really like to submerse my entire carb in it. I have everything that would melt in carb cleaner off right now but is there anything in the interior of the carb that I shouldn't submerse?

yaegerb
08-26-2012, 04:06 PM
I like my 4 strokes idling low. Makes it sound more powerful I guess. Kind of like an old muscle car with a huge cam. No I don't idle it that low but I love that sound of power! I just want to see where Honda says it should be and where I like it. If I cant find anything, I'll just continue doing it by ear.

Yaegerb, that tach looks neat. I love analog stuff. Especially when there is more analog dial then necessary. There's dial for know reason and switches that do nothing and when you go WOT things start spinning and lights start flashing and that's when you know you are the cool kid on the block! Digital is so lame :( ... I would like a little one that, for fun, I could have on my bike when I am driving around. An old Honda line would be awesome like no other but so is having an extra $300 in my pocket lol ....

Right now I have the jets and what not soaking in a tin of carb cleaner but I would really like to submerse my entire carb in it. I have everything that would melt in carb cleaner off right now but is there anything in the interior of the carb that I shouldn't submerse?

I assume you are using chemtool? I don't think anything will "melt" but when I clean my carbs and submerse, I always remove the floats, gaskets...anything plastic or rubber.

Matrix
08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Okay, thats what I have done but I didn't know if the engineers at Honda put something rubber inside the carb just to say ha...