PDA

View Full Version : ytm electric start issues

muthey
08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
OK now I have a faint spark with the elec start, have went through all the wires a couple of times, and needing some new insight on some possible solutions. it almost feels like the elec starter doesn't spin fast enough, I do have the right size battery. solenoid is good, starter button cranks just fine, and all connections are dielectric greased. If I pull start it will fire right up. I know this is a common issue, and I have checked the red and white wire and it is fine, so I am looking for other insight as my wife is sick of me fiddling with it.I read something about the neutral safety switch, but as far as I can tell that only stops the cranking, does it control the spark as well? does the regulator rectifier control the electric spark, as mine is on it's last leg only charging to 12.5 volts? If I run for awhile and the motor gets nice and hot it will start it sometimes, but I would like to be able to use it when it's cold as well. I have a spare starter with almost new brushes. The keyed ignition is is in good order, and the kill switch assembly is good as well The only thing left I can think of is the starting coil in the stator or the cdi, but I really don"t want to replace those yet, if I have to I will keep pull starting it . Just sharing my dilemma, and looking for any other input on what I can test and try thanks, Brandon

muthey
08-21-2012, 08:23 PM
giving this a bump