PDA

View Full Version : New 250sx owner got a few questions

vartiak15
08-17-2012, 10:01 PM
My brother just got a86 250sx and a 85. The 86 runs foot and starts first kick or starts easy with electric start, the 85 is almos all there minus fenders, battery, and a few little things. First question is what was the site to download manuals from, I read there are a few differences between the 85 and 86. I opened the rear diff on the 85 and water ported out, on the 86 no water came out. What oil do I use for the diff and how much. Also is there anything I should go threw that is known to be bad on the 250sx's? Is there any aftermarket pipes for them? And what would be involved to hook up some brighter lights? Last, are racks kinda rare for these I can't find any on eBay? Thanks for your time and any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! I'll post pics up tomr proly. Oh and sometimes when I go to shift it spear always go right into gear any clue on that ( maybe clutch plates?)

350Xccelerator
08-17-2012, 10:39 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

tri again
08-18-2012, 02:54 AM
My brother just got a86 250sx and a 85. The 86 runs foot and starts first kick or starts easy with electric start, the 85 is almos all there minus fenders, battery, and a few little things. First question is what was the site to download manuals from, I read there are a few differences between the 85 and 86. I opened the rear diff on the 85 and water ported out, on the 86 no water came out. What oil do I use for the diff and how much. Also is there anything I should go threw that is known to be bad on the 250sx's? Is there any aftermarket pipes for them? And what would be involved to hook up some brighter lights? Last, are racks kinda rare for these I can't find any on eBay? Thanks for your time and any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! I'll post pics up tomr proly. Oh and sometimes when I go to shift it spear always go right into gear any clue on that ( maybe clutch plates?)

Not sure what " shift it spear always go right into gear."
you mean it feels like sifting a normal bike with a hand clutch wiithout
pulling the clutch? ez to adjust clutch and maybe lower the idle.

Gear oil is something like 3 POINT 3 oz of 80 wt HYPOID.
change it a few times for sure.

I got some neodymium magnets to put on the drain plugs on all my machines.
Super strong and helps collect metal.
Headlights?
almost any hardware or autoparts store.
Stock is 45 watts and whats avail everywhere is 55 and no one seems to have any problems with them over heating.
check connections on the neutral and reverse switches under the tin cover by the rear brake pedal.

Hope you got the manual

vartiak15
08-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Sorry I ment when I go to shift it, it always doesn't go into gear right away.

wonderboy
08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
The racks show up from time to time on e-bay. The most common style rack you'll find requires holes to be drilled in your fenders. If your's are intact, I wouldn't do it. I'd find another set for sale that already has the holes and use those. If your fenders don't have holes, you'll be able to sell them for way more than you can buy a good set with holes (OEM SX fenders in good condition don't come up that often). The racks aren't cheap either...

The 85 has a somewhat poor sealing arrangement in the rear end. It is much improved on the 86 and 87 (the rear ends are very different). The fact that you had water in there means yours is a leaker and unless you replace and clean up the seals involved, you should avoid water. Depending on how long water has sat in there, even if you wanted to clean up and replace all the seals, you might not be able to get it to be water tight, since there are a lot of surfaces that can pit and corrode and prevent the seals from doing their job. If you do go through water, you just need to make it part of your end-of-ride maintenance to drain and refill the axle. With the machine on level ground, I just refill until the oil is right up to the bottom edge of the filler hole. It doesn't take much to fill it. On the 85 SX I used to have, just a few splashes through mud puddles would result in water in the axle...

Once you download the service manual, check out the section on adjustment of the clutch. Try the process out and see if that helps your shifting problems. What exactly do you mean by it won't go into gear right away? Do you have to move the shifter more than once, or once you shift it once does it take a while to move? If it requires moving the shifter multiple times, then I'd suspect something mechanical in the linkages rather than a clutch adjustment.

Keepah Rolln
08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Factory racks are around but pricey. If you want a bright light go to autozone or a car parts place in your area and the Mazda Miatta headlight or however you spell it fits right in your sx. I put one in mine and its twice as bright as stock bulb.

Flyingw
08-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I have installed xenon H4 base 60/55 bulbs in my Sxs and Rs. Brighter than stock for sure.

gladiator mice
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
congratulations on your catch. i too have an 85 250sx mint condition. first off since you just picked them up, change the oil in those beasts. also, there are NO aftermarket exhausts for this model any more no matter if its 85 86 or 87, they have discontinued mufflers and full systems from the shelves. you can search ebay or craigs list and you might stumble on a super trap or old cobra that someone bought back in the day. people ask a lot about the big red 250 fitting the 250sx exhaust. some say it does with a little modification and fabrication. and some say it wont at all. if you have a welder you can pick up a 88 honda trx250 DG exhaust and weld it on to the old sx pipe. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/67934-1986-250SX-exhaust-muffler-replacement-with-DG

as for the racks, 85 didnt come stock with one and they look better with out. another mod you could consider is swapping your front axle with a 200x fork and rim. this will give you a slightly different ride height and better control turning. search 200x fork on 250sx. also if you choose to go bigger rear tires sx's can handle 22s but 25's are pushing it and it may have trouble turning them. the rims on an 85 are 8x8, with new rims you want to go 9x9 and get deep bell rims so your rear break drum will fit in the rim. good luck.

tri again
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Sorry I ment when I go to shift it, it always doesn't go into gear right away.

you mean you have to tap it a few times to get into first?
or all the gears, all the time?

Keep an eye on that.
There are a couple threaded pins that are known to come loose sometimes.

I'm so smart, I had a shifter barely touching and dragging on the case but
didn't notice and thought it was an internal problem.

What kind of oil is in it?
wet clutch type?

dougspcs
08-21-2012, 11:53 AM
there are NO aftermarket exhausts for this model any more no matter if its 85 86 or 87, they have discontinued mufflers and full systems from the shelves.

Not entirely correct 'gladiator'..

The Kimpex branded replacement exhaust for the 250ES fits the SX perfectly..the only thing is you have to cut off the mid pipe support flange on the frame with a grinder.

I installed this replacement exhaust on my SX last year!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATC-250ES-250-BIG-RED-SLIP-ON-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-85-87-Z-/400264732079?hash=item5d31a31daf&item=400264732079&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

gladiator mice
08-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Not entirely correct 'gladiator'..

The Kimpex branded replacement exhaust for the 250ES fits the SX perfectly..the only thing is you have to cut off the mid pipe support flange on the frame with a grinder.

I installed this replacement exhaust on my SX last year!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATC-250ES-250-BIG-RED-SLIP-ON-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-85-87-Z-/400264732079?hash=item5d31a31daf&item=400264732079&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

i knew about kimpex replacement muffler, i was reffering to aftermarket performance exhausts like dg rcm 2, fmf, hmf, cobra, etc not oem pipes

Flyingw
08-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Performance exhausts are hit and miss on eBay. Back several years ago, in put a yammyhammer big bear muffler on my 350x. I searched around and found a muffler with the correct ID. I made a little adapter bracket and it worked beautifully and sounded great. Throaty without being too loud. Right now I'm looking for a muffler for my latest SX build. I put a cobra on my last build and at idle it sounded b!then but it was too loud when I got on it so i went back to the stock exhaust.

Flyingw
08-21-2012, 12:23 PM
If you want a cobra exhaust, I'll sell you the one I took off for 75.00 plus shipping. The muffler isn't perfect but I did powder coat it black and the head pipe I painted with BBQ paint but it is very serviceable.

tri again
08-21-2012, 04:33 PM
My personal concern is if it would pass inspection for off road
volume and spark arrest.
The ticket might cost more than an expensive 'correct' one.

Flyingw
08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Good point.....