PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating an Auto X Build

Popeye
08-14-2012, 08:29 PM
I know there is a lot of info out there about Auto X builds, but I'm kinda OCD when it comes to organization and I just can't keep all the facts together flipping through threads. So I figured I would start my own and see who didn't mind repeating things for the umpteenth time.

I can't ever save up enough money at one time to buy a nice bike, so I do what I've always done and start with a bare frame. More expensive, but at least I can be doing something and it will keep my interest. If I just start saving, I'll find something else to spend it on before I get enough lol.

So the first thing I am mulling over is the frame choice. I don't fool with water cooled- too much other crap. I figured on going with an 85 just because it is the newest of the bunch. Anything about the 1st generation frames that make an 83 or 84 a better choice? I'm assuming they are all the same.

I want to get as many later model parts as I can to make it easier and cheaper to work on. I'd love for somebody to throw out a list of my options kinda like the Tips and Tricks thread for the 250r. I'm mostly focused on suspension. Any triple trees, front forks, swingarms, shocks, etc. that will upgrade it. Please include any mods to the frame that must be performed. I would like to keep those to a minimum, or at least only do it if the return is great enough. I suck at mods lol.

Finally (for now), what motor should I be looking into. Everybody says one out of a 200s, but those motors are the same as a regular 200 right? They also say use the 200x jug and piston for greater compression I think. What am I losing by making this an auto? I know that the X only weighs about 30 lbs less than my 81 200 and it don't zip around. I'm looking for a quick little trail bike that can be a stepping stone for my kids to use when going from the 200 to the 250r. But I want it to be fast. How much (if any) does performance drop by making it an auto. In theory they are the same bottom end right?

Thank ya'll for taking the time to read this and post answers I'm sure you've been through before. I've got a frame lined up from a member on here, just waiting to here back.

bkm
08-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Going to the auto clutch will lose performance but the ease of riding will make up for that with younger riders. It seems that the 185 or 200s engines are the ones that people use for the auto X swap. I have a 200x engine with a 10.5:1 piston and a megacycle roller cam that will wake up the auto engine and make a nice runner.

As far as suspension I would just use fresh 200x setup and leave it be. I might even have a set of 200x forks laying around. I know you want to build one from scratch but I would find a decent roller so it doesn't nickle and dime you to death.

Look at what it takes to fab up the rear brakes because you lose the pedal mounting point by going to the auto lower end. And don't tell me you don't need rear brakes because I don't want to hear any of that crap.

ebaccm26
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm looking for a quick little trail bike that can be a stepping stone for my kids to use when going from the 200 to the 250r.

Auto x's are pretty cool, but if a stepping stone is the only reason you want to make one then maybe not the best choice. It's still like going from the 200 right to the 250r, because other than handling the 200's will be similar in speed and the auto clutch of course. So they would be going from a semi agressive machine with no clutch to a hold on for your life machine with a clutch, still somewhat of a big step. If you really want a stepping stone I'd say just get a regular 200x, but if you want to make one because thy are awesome then do it . :p

Look at what it takes to fab up the rear brakes because you lose the pedal mounting point by going to the auto lower end. And don't tell me you don't need rear brakes because I don't want to hear any of that crap.

I dont have any brakes at all :lol:

Popeye
08-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Kinda makes me want to stick with the manual clutch. I thought that 200x's would be at least a little bit quicker than the regular 200 or 185s. I figured making it an auto would take away a little bit though. Manuals are funner to ride IMO, although I'm not all that great at it.

Popeye
08-15-2012, 12:09 AM
As far as suspension I would just use fresh 200x setup and leave it be. I might even have a set of 200x forks laying around. I know you want to build one from scratch but I would find a decent roller so it doesn't nickle and dime you to death.

I know what you are saying, but it's about the only way it ever works out for me. The only time I have gotten lucky was when I picked up my super nice (for around here) 81 200. Got it for $250 and it was about as good a bike as I could ask to start with. For a hunting trike it was pretty well taken care of. I've since put another $600-700 in it, but that was over time. I'm definitely upside down on it lol, but I've got a trike that will last another 30 years if taken care of.

I've definitely let this 250r nickle and dime me. I started with a frame, front-end, tank, swingarm and axle. Had to buy everything else. It takes time and money, but it allows me to keep doing something. If I waited to buy one it would take at least a year before I could get my hands on it. It's not so much about the money as it is about not getting bored and fidgety lol. I've got to steadily be doing something or I'll waste the money on something else. Trust me, I have long wished I had patience.