PDA

View Full Version : An interesting ride today..hope a lesson was learned!!

dougspcs
08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I took my girls and wife to Gopher Dunes for some ATVing..a decent place with 3 well groomed trails that are good for novice rider they also have a really nice professional dirt race track. The kids and I had a great time..

I got to take the 350x for a nice run and get it good and dirty..

So anyway while the girls were taking a break from riding I went and asked one of the track staff if it was ok to take my 350X on the track for a spin..they said it was ok since it was Sunday and there were only a few riders.

I have to add that the day before Gopher Dunes hosted a Moto-cross event and the track was a hacked up mess..but still looked fun.

So I take off and was doing my best to navigate these 2ft deep ruts in the track especially around the corners.

Anyway, these 2 wheelers were roaring around the track as a much faster pace than I. Two of them past me and one cut in front so close I could have sworn he was trying to play some intimidation game..but I rode on. About 2 turns later..WHAM. This 3rd guy comes in on the inside of a turn I'm doing my best to take and smokes me!!

My machine is knocked flying, I take a superman into the sand. Get up and brush myself off and I'm ready to kick ass!!

But then I see the 2wheeler struggling to get up, holding his shoulder in alot of pain..his bike lying on it's side bleeding antifreeze all over the track. What a mess!!

I pick up my machine, check it, then walk over to ask if he's alright. But this time the 1st two guys plus others are closing in on him as is the track staff..who asks what happened. I told him how this guy came in really hot on the inside of my turn and blind sided me..

Since I didn't take any real damage and wasn't hurt to speak of I shut down the afterburners and just coolly sat by while his buddies picked up his bike to assess the damage. Seems my left foot peg must have gone thru the right side of his engine cover, water pump is smashed and may even have broken the side cover.

The guy quietly fessed up that is was just an accident and no bodies fault..

Since I managed to escape injury and damage I was willing to accept his explanation. I went over to my 350x, 2 kicks to restart and rode off to enjoy the rest of my day with the kids.

Wonder if he learned anything?

zzmegad
08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
yeah kinda weird they were getting so close to you. sounds like a bunch of d-bags. sounds like he'll have some down time to think about it.

atc007
08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Good for him! It's just not enough to just have fun for some I guess! Glad you were ok!

tri again
08-12-2012, 10:18 PM
I worry about the 2 way trails thru the dunes.
We just lost a kid last weekend.
side by side vs. 2 wheeler.

Someone jumping off the top of the dunes with this kid flying up.
Flags would've had to be 20 feet tall to be able to see each other.

Seems different than running too close intentionally like your experience.
Glad yer ok.

WIkid500
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Tough luck for the clown riding like a d bag, glad you and the old x are in good shape. They are allowing side by sides on the trails in wisconsin now, I'm not a fan of something heavier than a jeep coming at me around a tight woods corner. It kinda sucks.

TrailerRider
08-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Seems fishy to me as well. He got what he deserved. Glad you're ok though and the x as well :)

dustrunner
08-14-2012, 08:05 PM
ya, that'l teach m to mess with a 350x and an expert rider huh... glad you were able to ride outta there ..