PDA

View Full Version : 350x carburetor trouble gas running out the overflow.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
08-11-2012, 07:57 PM
My carburetor keeps flooding out for some reason it just started it for no reason. Gas just keeps running out the bottom of the carburetor i believe out of the overflow tube, which ever on is at the bottom of the carb. I have cleaned it several times and still the same problem. So i ordered a carb kit and still have the same problem. What could be causing this i assume the float is sticking but i don't know how to fix this?

dougspcs
08-11-2012, 08:27 PM
You definitely have a float issue..fuel is running uncontrolled into the bowl. Since the needle isn't closing completely it overfills and flows out the bypass tube..

Before your remove again, gently tap on the float bowl with a screw driver handle to see it the float it sticking..if it stops running out your good.

If not remove your carb again and double check the float needle..check for dirt in the inlet tube and check the needle for damage.

Re-assemble then shake the carb in your hand to verify you can hear the float moving..if you can't hear the float rattling around open it again and figure out why..

You're close to the solution..I've been down this road also a few times.

Flyingw
08-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Doug is spot on with his advise. This style of Honda carb (ES,SX 350X) have a bad habit of doing this. If you do take it apart again, be sure the hole the needle goes in to is abolutely clean. Tapping on the bowl helps the needle in to its correct position so seal.

dustrunner
08-11-2012, 09:28 PM
i always turn my carbs upside down and blow into the feul inlet tube just to make sure the float is closing all the way... but ive heard you never turn a carb upside down but it works for me....

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
08-11-2012, 10:50 PM
ok i'll try blowing out the the passages. I've put in a new needle and needle float with the rebuild kit and still had the same problem.

Flyingw
08-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Then the needle seat is suspect then.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
08-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Is that even replaceable? i would have no idea how to get that out.

badass350x
08-11-2012, 11:50 PM
First off make sure your floats dont have a hole in them by checking them in water, second is it running bad?? I know you said its flooding out, but running rich or?? As stated above take the carb off an with the fuel line on hold the carb upright blowing in the inlet gently raise the floats to see if the inlet stops letting air in, if so and its still flooding then replace the floats.

wonderboy
08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Make sure the drain screw at the bottom is tight (you've probably already done this, but just make sure). Try opening it up and retightening it. I'm pretty sure both the overflow and bowl drain come out the same place, so if you've been over and over your needle and float, just make sure it isn't the drain screw itself.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
08-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I took it all back apart again cleaned and scrubbed with brushes, blew everything out with 100psi of air reassembled, listened to make sure the float was working reinstalled it and low and behold it's working. I took it on about a hour ride and in never gave me a bit of trouble. I don't know what he problem was but i guess it's fixed due to the air as thats the only thing i did different, thanks for all the help.

Flyingw
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM
All it takes is the tiniest bit of debris stuck to the needle seat to keep it from sealing. Good job.....Trike on!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
08-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I yank out all my tank filters (most of which have never been cleaned in 26 yrs) and throw them away.

Then I run a clear inline filter, which can be bought for 2$ and either come out straight or vertical. I've run the line around the front of the carb in order for it to fit. It can get a bit cluttered in there.....

dougspcs
08-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I took it all back apart again cleaned and scrubbed with brushes, blew everything out with 100psi of air reassembled, listened to make sure the float was working reinstalled it and low and behold it's working. I took it on about a hour ride and in never gave me a bit of trouble. I don't know what he problem was but i guess it's fixed due to the air as thats the only thing i did different, thanks for all the help.

Good on you Freak..I knew it would turn out to be something simple.

I've had a couple little things like that happen..kinda makes you wonder what you did wrong. Truth is you didn't do anything incorrectly..just a small bit of dirt escaped the clean out.