PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on my custom trike build

stevensj13
08-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey guys. I posted up a thread before asking opinions on my blaster trike idea, but I've come up with a 2nd pretty cool project and I can't decide which to do. So, I wanna take a vote. I've got a 200x frame and then the rest of it in boxes, minus a few small things. I got it from Jon Jon, and have been trying to figure out what to do. Well, I'm considering cutting the front of the frame off the 200x frame, and cutting up a Yamaha Blaster frame, putting the two together, and being able to use 200x front end (forks, triples, head tube, ect.) on the front of a Blaster and make a Yamaha Blaster 200x trike. Now, as cool as that would be, it would be a lot of work. I also, however, have a lifan 250cc Liquid Cooled honda clone motor and nothing to put it in. It will bolt in the 200x frame, except the head stay mount on the frame gets wedged against the head stay mount on the motor and won't let the ass end of the motor line up all the way with the rear two mounts. I can cut off the headstay mount on the 200x frame and move it back and make a custom bracket and the motor should go right in, then I just have to mount the radiator. Heres some pics of what I am talking about:

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/stevensj13/DSCN4272.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/stevensj13/DSCN4273.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/stevensj13/DSCN4274.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/stevensj13/DSCN4275.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/stevensj13/DSCN4276.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/stevensj13/DSCN4277.jpg

So guys, should I move the headstay mount and put the 250cc Lifan motor in the 200x frame and put the 200x together, or should I cut up the 200x frame and a Yamaha Blaster frame and make a blaster trike?

Popeye
08-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I voted for the 250 in the 200x frame just because I have thought about it myself. I have heard that the 200 frames might give out though.

stevensj13
08-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I voted for the 250 in the 200x frame just because I have thought about it myself. I have heard that the 200 frames might give out though.

It looks like if I grind off the headstay mounts welded to the backbone on the 200x frame it wouldn't affect the actual tube frame, leaving it strong enough. and Then I'll just weld up a new mount point for the headstay bracket further back on the frame backbone where it'll fit. Should be strong enough? I just don't know where I'd put the radiator. probably on the bars like a tecate. I always wondered how the tecate radiator hoses hold up since they are being pulled and pushed all the time turning the bars.

mart
08-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Mate ive also considered this swap. I reckon go with it first ride see how you like it if its not all that good,Then do you blaster idea this way you get to try both where as if you do blaster first youve cut up a good frame for nothing.
Can i also ask (and im in no way being a smartarse at all with this ?)is there a reason you need to cut and shut two frame together for the blaster approach surely you could make the blaster engine fit in the 200x frame?? please dont take my question the wrong way.
cheers mart.
I really do believe that 250 would be a great engine for an x as for radiators id go for some slim line mx bike ones and mount them just below the tank this is the approach im going with the cr125 x im doing.Also then im goin to plastic form some shrouds up.

stevensj13
08-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Mate ive also considered this swap. I reckon go with it first ride see how you like it if its not all that good,Then do you blaster idea this way you get to try both where as if you do blaster first youve cut up a good frame for nothing.
Can i also ask (and im in no way being a smartarse at all with this ?)is there a reason you need to cut and shut two frame together for the blaster approach surely you could make the blaster engine fit in the 200x frame?? please dont take my question the wrong way.
cheers mart.
I really do believe that 250 would be a great engine for an x as for radiators id go for some slim line mx bike ones and mount them just below the tank this is the approach im going with the cr125 x im doing.Also then im goin to plastic form some shrouds up.

I appreciate the input, and I think thats a good idea, doing the 250 motor first. I actually have a radiator about 10-12 inches wide and about 6-8 inches tall, it would mount perfect across the triples on a 200x so I was going to use that. I was going to combine the blaster and 200x frames so that everything other than the frame, triple trees, forks and front wheel/breaks would be yamaha blaster off the shelf parts, which are still in production and incredibly cheap. Another reason is I have enough Yamaha Blaster parts to build about 6 blasters w/o motors, and I have 2 blaster motors ready to use so once the frame is done this thing could be together and done in a day or two with no waiting on parts, I am missing a lot of parts from the 200x basket case and would have to buy those if I build the 250 trike. Also, I have a serious undying hatred for the 200x swingarm and chain adjuster and axle carrier design, and I want to avoid. I've been following your CR 125 build, and I must say I like where its going. I think it'll turn out great, and the counter sprocket line-up jig you made was pretty slick. I had a 1998 ported n polished CR 125 and that thing was a real monster for its size. plenty of power

mart
08-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Ahhhhhhh ok yep well with all those spares now i see your point sounds good.i agree with you on the chain adjustment setup i dunno why honda just didnt do the eccentric carrier setup like the rest of there rides.

stevensj13
08-12-2012, 04:27 AM
Ahhhhhhh ok yep well with all those spares now i see your point sounds good.i agree with you on the chain adjustment setup i dunno why honda just didnt do the eccentric carrier setup like the rest of there rides.

I know. I had a roundhouse setup on a 300ex, loosen 2 12mm bolts and stick an allen key wrench in one of the holes on the side and turn it. simple as that. Oh well. I'm gonna see how hard it would be to ground off that head stay mount on the frame tomorrow and see if I can't get this 250cc motor wedged in there, if it goes together then I'll turn it into a roller and get to work on everything else. I'll have a build thread up if I make any progress tomorrow