PDA

View Full Version : 1978 ATC 90 air filter/ carb to air filter boot ?????

flowmasterman
08-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Hey all, been a LONGGGGG time since last been on here. Well the ATC 90 I was given for FREE :), I ended up fixing up for my Dad, who by the way LOVESSS it. But last time I was out to visit him for the holidays, I noticed he had messed with the air filter to carb boot, and didn't put it all the way back on, ( I lectured him about how the new top end job I did would shortly be ruined if I had not noticed this), LOL, anywho, the boot is in bad shape anyway and needs replaced, and for the life of me I can not find one, I know the 78 boot is different than the earlier models, not certain up to which year. I was wondering if a clamp on style k&n filter would work, REASON I ask? Well when I had this thing tore apart, and put it back together, new piston, rings, cam chain and gaskets and also new seat cover and foam(the seat pan design is a pain to make from scratch and get to fit right, if want to call it a seat pan since it is 3 seperate pieces, well the damn thing would run fine up to a certain RPM, then when tried to go full throttle would cut out, must have checked and rechecked and checked the cam chain timing marks 101 times, well ended up playing with it and figured out it ran PERFECT without the air filter boot attached, keep in mind, this is the stock air box, AND bought a NOS air filter element, so it was all stock, it wouldn't run right with the air box hooked up, sooo, what ended up figuring out and doing was took the snorkel off that is attached to the air box that runs inside the frame and BAM, runs perfect? SOOO, since this thing seems to be so sensitive to the airbox, is a K&N clamp on filter going to work or do I need to keep and eye out for another boot or possibly does someone have one for sale on here for a decent price? And also, just for the record it dsoes appear to have a ATC 110 carburetor and possibly intake as well, I don't know if this is what caused the problem or not.