PDA

View Full Version : Racing a 200x?

stevensj13
08-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Hey guys. My buddy Jon Jon (a member here) and me are thinkin of getting into trike racing. He used to race, I believe. Anyway, I've got my trusty money pit 200x and a ton of spare parts for it, with some extras, so I figured why not race it! Right now its an 84 200X with a Supertrapp exhaust, MX style rear tires, Clark desert tank, and Renthal bars. Fresh top end rebuild. Other than that its all stock. What would I need to have a good race machine? I figure, Nerf Bars from a blaster modded to fit, a tether switch, and maybe a nastier cam would get me goin. I'm 165 pounds 5 foot 5 inches tall, so the 200x fits me pretty well. Now, I know a lot of the responses I am going to get are "sell it and buy an R! sell it and buy a 350x! Well, thats a fine idea and all, but you cant touch an 85/86R or a 350X around here for under $2000, IF you can find one. Plus, I love my 200x! What is everyones opinion here as far as MX'ing a mostly stock 200x?

EDIT: I also no longer have my 85 Tri-Z anymore, otherwise I would race it

xrider
08-09-2012, 06:58 AM
I have been racing my 200x with good results for the past couple years. On a tight track you can hang with a 250r or 350x no problem. You will want an extended swingarm (+2 length is my preference) and an extended axle.

jon jon
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
told you jeremiah youll need a extended swing arm. but i raced my 350x at lake sugar tree and some drag racing to follow in my dads foot steps. my main racing was quads lol.. but i would rather have a 200x. my 350x wouldnt jump the gratest. the 200x with the right mods (forks, swinger, axel) is a pretty well defined amazing machine. jumps like a 300ex or better. smooth landing.

yaegerb
08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Take a look at how I am setting up my bike for flat track racing. It should give you an idea of what's involved :) BTW, there is a NASA extended racing axle on EBAY right now!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142004-Flat-Track-200x?highlight=flat+track+200x

fabiodriven
08-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't know what the 200X swing arm looks like, but you could extend it yourself if you wanted to I'm sure. I've extended two Tecate swing arms and they came out great.

xrider
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Take a look at how I am setting up my bike for flat track racing. It should give you an idea of what's involved :) BTW, there is a NASA extended racing axle on EBAY right now!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142004-Flat-Track-200x?highlight=flat+track+200x

Yep the NASA axle is mine on ebay and it is a good axle for racing.

stevensj13
08-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! and xrider, If I sell my car this weekend I might pick up that axle. I'm also looking into 400ex hubs, how much do they widen a 200x? If I get my damn swingarm bolt out, I'll pick up a +2 swinger. I'll throw a number plate on the front and a 250r front fender. can anyone reccomend a shock from another stock ATV that would improve my rear suspension? Would one from a TRX 450 fit? or a 300ex? 400ex? 250r? Thanks guys!

Matrix
08-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I have been racing my 200x with good results for the past couple years. On a tight track you can hang with a 250r or 350x no problem. You will want an extended swingarm (+2 length is my preference) and an extended axle.

Currently I am racing my 86 200x. Like Xrider said, on a tight track you'll be fine. Its all the skill. My last race was Smith Road with OTC in July and in the turn I could catch up (I was in B class) to the others in my class. Once I was about to pass but I was only there for fun and I knew that they would pass me back in the more open area (and Im not to skilled) so I just stayed in last. ATVonDemand.com did a video on us and I cant wait to see it. My machine was in bad shape though, bad... But I ran for fun.

My rear suspension is bad and I plan on buying the Works rear suspension for it. About 6-7 hundred big ones. My rear suspension is currently crying every time I jump it, along with my feet when I bottom out lol.

Popeye
08-09-2012, 05:50 PM
You can probably get those hubs from Howdy on here. Good price and super fast shipping.

stevensj13
08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Currently I am racing my 86 200x. Like Xrider said, on a tight track you'll be fine. Its all the skill. My last race was Smith Road with OTC in July and in the turn I could catch up (I was in B class) to the others in my class. Once I was about to pass but I was only there for fun and I knew that they would pass me back in the more open area (and Im not to skilled) so I just stayed in last. ATVonDemand.com did a video on us and I cant wait to see it. My machine was in bad shape though, bad... But I ran for fun.

My rear suspension is bad and I plan on buying the Works rear suspension for it. About 6-7 hundred big ones. My rear suspension is currently crying every time I jump it, along with my feet when I bottom out lol.

Cool man. Yeah, I'm good on a quad and a bike but still getting used to 3 wheels lol. I havent jumped it more than like 6 or 8 feet yet because a 3 foot wide tree fell blocking off the part of my trails setup for jumping. Ive got a little jump I hit on the way up to the house.

stroberts22
08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
IMO the 200x needs it's own class if it is to be competitive. X-riders 200x isn't the run of the mill 200x but I was able to beat him at trike fest on the mx coarse but that thing smoked me in drag racing. Rider skill plays into it also like Mickey Dunlap did in the day racing against 250r and tecates but even he had a stroker like xrider. I like matrix idea of running for fun. That is what it's suppose to be, fun but if you are wanting to win more displacement will be needed.

stevensj13
08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
IMO the 200x needs it's own class if it is to be competitive. X-riders 200x isn't the run of the mill 200x but I was able to run with him at trike fest on the mx coarse but that thing smoked me in drag racing. Rider skill plays into it also like Mickey Dunlap did in the day racing against 250r and tecates but even he had a stroker like xrider. I like matrix idea of running for fun. That is what it's suppose to be, fun but if you are wanting to win more displacement will be needed.

I definitally am racing only for fun, if I race. I just have to get more comfortable on my machine before I tear ass down a track with 30 other riders. I don't plan on dropping a lot of cash on my 200x, just enough to make it fun, wider hubs, longer swinger, a number plate, nerf bars, cam, ect.

xrider
08-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I definitally am racing only for fun, if I race. I just have to get more comfortable on my machine before I tear ass down a track with 30 other riders. I don't plan on dropping a lot of cash on my 200x, just enough to make it fun, wider hubs, longer swinger, a number plate, nerf bars, cam, ect.

If you end up interested in a longer swingarm, I have a +2 Durablue swingarm I would sell

xrider
08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
IMO the 200x needs it's own class if it is to be competitive. X-riders 200x isn't the run of the mill 200x but I was able to run with him at trike fest on the mx coarse but that thing smoked me in drag racing. Rider skill plays into it also like Mickey Dunlap did in the day racing against 250r and tecates but even he had a stroker like xrider. I like matrix idea of running for fun. That is what it's suppose to be, fun but if you are wanting to win more displacement will be needed.

Took 3rd place in the vintage class at Pine Lake on the 200x :beer

stevensj13
08-09-2012, 06:53 PM
If you end up interested in a longer swingarm, I have a +2 Durablue swingarm I would sell

I'm interested, but I have to buy the parts to finish my pit bike build before I drop any more dough on the 200x. If you still have it when Ive got the money to spend on the 200x, Id definitally like to buy it

Tri-Z 250
08-09-2012, 09:24 PM
The frist Generation 200X's can be made to run real hard. The OTC race formate is ALL about having fun FRIST. I've run my 86'200X many times and have been pretty suscessful taking as high as 4thOverall. Other than some simple mods, and +4" axle it's bone stock with 20"knobs on the rear. Smith Rd is a great example of where the track can equalize the machines...and a skilled rider can work the track to his/her advantage. I say her because in B class you can expect to be passed or have to pass a fast female at times. I honestly battled with MrsMosh for an entire lap at SmithRd. I could catch her in the corner and out brake her; but down each straight away she just pulled away on her 250R. :wonderingkinda makes me wonder what I was giving up HP to weight as I'm no tooth pick. It was like chasing a feather on the back of an R with a heavy thumb, and a knack of holding the inside line....she definatly made me earn that pass:lol: SO are they worthy...YES just take a look at the video for Ashtabula Vintage class...watch were the 84'200X finishes...I'd tell ya but don't want to ruin the ending for ya.

torque
08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
i love this thread. i could talk about making a killer first gen x all day. Xrider and yaegerb both have killer set ups, if you want to do well at the track just look at there mods.

my current set im running
+4 axle
+3 swing arm
rebuilt and revalved rear shock w a heavy duty spring and a adjustable resi from a 350x
the original triples were bored out to fit 250r forks and progressive springs
20 inch razr's with stock gearing

stevensj13
08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
i love this thread. i could talk about making a killer first gen x all day. Xrider and yaegerb both have killer set ups, if you want to do well at the track just look at there mods.

my current set im running
+4 axle
+3 swing arm
rebuilt and revalved rear shock w a heavy duty spring and a adjustable resi from a 350x
the original triples were bored out to fit 250r forks and progressive springs
20 inch razr's with stock gearing

I have to admit I didn't think this thread would turn out as great as it did! I'm gathering lots of good info. Ive never taken a 3 wheeler on an MX track before at all, so just jumping in and racing would be interesting considering my fear of heights, AKA jumping. I'll get some practice in at the local track and see if I can't get comfortable on this 200x

stroberts22
08-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Took 3rd place in the vintage class at Pine Lake on the 200x :beerWith your skill level and a 250r in the garage you could of took first. What did Ricky Bobby say "If your not first your last." LOL I know it's a old line but the meaning still rings true today.

torque
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
get some solid seat time. start small and have fun. you will be surprised at how much fun can be had on top of a 280 odd pound 200cc'd three wheeled machine

stevensj13
08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
get some solid seat time. start small and have fun. you will be surprised at how much fun can be had on top of a 280 odd pound 200cc'd three wheeled machine

Thats the plan. My local track is called Firelane MX and they have some videos on youtube. I'm wondering what kind of crazy looks I'll get being out there on a 3 wheeler :TrikesOwn

TimSr
08-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Thats the plan. My local track is called Firelane MX and they have some videos on youtube. I'm wondering what kind of crazy looks I'll get being out there on a 3 wheeler :TrikesOwn

Expect to get support and encouragement from quad and bike racers like you are not used to seeing in a community where everybody has one. :)

My advice is get some 18" tires that slide well, and get out there and have some fun, get some experience, and decide whether or not you like it, and how much more of it you want to do before you start spending serious money on setup and modifications. The other consideration is what your competition is racing, and how well they can ride it. You'll have a lot more fun, and be more fun to watch with handful of guys running a real tight well matched race than a group spread out all over the track. If your riding against faster bikes with less skilled racers, a self imposed handicap of a smaller bike can make it a lot more fun, or just trying to match the other guys. Race now, build up later after you decide whats most helpful. xrider knows how to squeeze every drop of potential out of a 200X motor, and I've never seen TriZ 250 ever say he wasn't having a blast racing his.

stevensj13
08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Expect to get support and encouragement from quad and bike racers like you are not used to seeing in a community where everybody has one. :)

My advice is get some 18" tires that slide well, and get out there and have some fun, get some experience, and decide whether or not you like it, and how much more of it you want to do before you start spending serious money on setup and modifications. The other consideration is what your competition is racing, and how well they can ride it. You'll have a lot more fun, and be more fun to watch with handful of guys running a real tight well matched race than a group spread out all over the track. If your riding against faster bikes with less skilled racers, a self imposed handicap of a smaller bike can make it a lot more fun, or just trying to match the other guys. Race now, build up later after you decide whats most helpful. xrider knows how to squeeze every drop of potential out of a 200X motor, and I've never seen TriZ 250 ever say he wasn't having a blast racing his.

I've got 18 inch golf cart tires on my Blaster hehehe. Its hilarious to ride, you just slide everywhere. But I do have a set of spare aluminum 450R stock rims that need a set of tires, maybe I'll throw some 18's on em and put em on my X.

Tri-Z 250
08-10-2012, 12:58 PM
:DThis is what my face looks like everytime I give it my all every MX moto. Going home knowing I tried hard and made few mistakes....usually ends me in mid to just behind the lead pack finish. To me pushing a smaller class machine against holeshot 250's and catching up before the checkers, is what its about for me.....Well that and a GREAT bunch of people to run against, each time brings you back too.