PDA

View Full Version : What tire pressure do you guys run?

stevensj13
08-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Hey guys. trying to come up with a good tire pressure to run on my 84 200x. It has flat wide, MX style tires on the rear, I forget the exact type. Its got your average trike tire on the front. My riding area doesnt have a lot of rocks, just mainly dirt, roots, and sticks. some wet stuff too but I dont mud my trike, only trails. What is everyone running for pressure around here?

JasonB
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
i dont have a guage that reads low enough, so I just use feel. I either push my knee into the tire and see how hard it is and repeat to match on the other side :D

Im guessing its probably around like 3 or 4 psi total though.

dougspcs
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
I like 2 PSI in most of my tires..especially on the rocky trails to avoid puncture. But when you run this low it's really important to keep the rear tires extactly the same..the torque of acceleration will cause the machine to steer in the direction of the lower tire. The more torque the machine has the worst the effect!!

If you put 5 PSI in one and 2 PSI in the other on your TRI-Z or 250R and run it you'll see what I mean..it may vary from one tire to another more!

There are low pressure gauges that go from 0-15 on the market..I bought a handful of them on Ebay a few years back and keep them on all my boxes.

stevensj13
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
i dont have a guage that reads low enough, so I just use feel. I either push my knee into the tire and see how hard it is and repeat to match on the other side :D

Im guessing its probably around like 3 or 4 psi total though.

I like where my rear tires are, but the front is really soft. it seems to handle fine so I havent changed it.

stevensj13
08-08-2012, 12:54 PM
I like 2 PSI in most of my tires..especially on the rocky trails to avoid puncture. But when you run this low it's really important to keep the rear tires extactly the same..the torque of acceleration will cause the machine to steer in the direction of the lower tire. The more torque the machine has the worst the effect!!

If you put 5 PSI in one and 2 PSI in the other on your TRI-Z or 250R and run it you'll see what I mean..it may vary from one tire to another more!

There are low pressure gauges that go from 0-15 on the market..I bought a handful of them on Ebay a few years back and keep them on all my boxes.

I think since theres not many rocks on my trails I'll try 4 psi. I've got a guage that goes from 0 to 30 that I like to use. Thanks for the tips!

dougspcs
08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I think since theres not many rocks on my trails I'll try 4 psi. I've got a guage that goes from 0 to 30 that I like to use. Thanks for the tips!

4 PSI is good too..it's like a mattress. Everyone likes a different feel..

yaegerb
08-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I second the "tire feel" method. I don't use a gauge, I put my weight on one knee and adjust that way. Also note, tire pressures (as you probably know) are different for track, trail, rock, flat, etc.

I run lower pressure on rocky trails (Ozarks) and I run firmer pressures on tracks.

stevensj13
08-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I second the "tire feel" method. I don't use a gauge, I put my weight on one knee and adjust that way. Also note, tire pressures (as you probably know) are different for track, trail, rock, flat, etc.

I run lower pressure on rocky trails (Ozarks) and I run firmer pressures on tracks.

I agree. I usually check with my hand, for soft stuff I like it mushy, I like the pressure the tires are at now, It turns really sharp, doesn't tip easily, and the front tire leads instead of getting pushed, but I was thinking of playing around with it a little bit. I just bent my shifter back straight today so tomorrow I'll go for a ride and see how I like 4 PSI