PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Flash Rust

Popeye
08-06-2012, 02:10 AM
I filled my tank with vinegar and salt and let it soak overnight. Dumped it out and filled it with water and baking soda to counter-act the acid. Then flushed the heck out of it with water til it came out clean. The thing was spotless-looked brand new. Then put alcohol in it to soak up the water. But by the time I was able to get gas in it (which was almost immediately after getting the alcohol out, it was covered in flash rust. The gas in it looks clean, but the flash rust on the bottom makes me want to start over. Is there any way to prevent the flash rust from happening? Do I need to start over or not worry about it? It just sucks because that sucker was really clean.

Thanks.

tri again
08-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Can you try the 'search key'?

key words 'flash rust'.

It should pull up tons of pages of good info accumulated over the years.

If it doesn't work, I can try it for you.

PLS Lets us know.

We all need to know the best answer.

If you get 'em new or clean, they say to keep the tanks full.
No oxygen, no rust.

I personally fill mine with CO2 for storage.

atc007
08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
If you would have skipped the alcohol part,,you would have been good to go ! It wasn't a mistake! Just the second that alcohol dried,it drew for rust. You'll be absolutely Fine in the skeem of things if you can just forget it's yucky looking! As long as theirs gas in there,it'll stay the way it is and not rust more.

Popeye
08-06-2012, 10:34 AM
If you would have skipped the alcohol part,,you would have been good to go ! It wasn't a mistake! Just the second that alcohol dried,it drew for rust. You'll be absolutely Fine in the skeem of things if you can just forget it's yucky looking! As long as theirs gas in there,it'll stay the way it is and not rust more.

I just thought I needed to get the moisture out, but I figured it wouldn't get worse. Just sucks because it was brand new looking for a couple of minutes lol. Thanks atc007

kb0nly
08-06-2012, 10:46 AM
After you get done removing the rust instead of the alcohol spray down the inside with WD-40 then drain out any excess and fill it with fuel. I did that and it seemed to work great! I tried the vinegar treatment and was surprised how well it did. I see guys using The Works toilet bowl cleaner now as well, i haven't tried that yet but its on my todo list.

philgipson
08-06-2012, 11:02 AM
the works works real good.will even eat thru pin holes you didnt know you had.