PDA

View Full Version : 250sx carb help.

Killbot
08-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Bought a 1985 250sx parts bike and decided to fix it insted. I got it running ok but thought carb jets were clogged and decided to clean it. I was having trouble gettin choke pin out and ended up screwing it up and since it was a original carb and I live in PA I decided to get a new carb off ebay.
I got CVK carb with a primer and hooked it up and now bike won't stay running. If I press primer bike runs good then dies. If I pull choke out it runs good then dies. If I mess with throttle bike runs good then dies! WTF did I do wrong? Anyone with this carb know how many turns of pilot screw from bottom is correct?

dougspcs
08-05-2012, 08:47 PM
You probably didn't do any wrong.

Those replacement carbs are crap..try to find as OEM carb and rebuild it.

Flyingw
08-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I have three carbs for sale. All three have been disassembled, the bodies bead blasted, and reassembled with a fresh rebuild kit. I have also installed all three on my SX and ran them and they all checked out great. Two are 85 carbs and one is an 86 carb but the 85s do have the cold start mod in them. These carbs are clean, serviceable and ready to go. Doug is right in that those aftermarket carbs are not a good replacement for the ES/SX. I stand behind my work!!! $100.00 shipped WITH exchange. I spend a couple of hours with each carb not counting the operationl check plus the cost of the rebuild kit. I'm certianly not selling these to make money but to help out my triker Brothers. I do the exchange thing so I can keep this going on as long as I can. These are carbs I had stashed away not helping anybody so I'm offering them up with exchange for 100 bucks shipped. What do you think killbot? or anybody else for that matter? Remember, these have been tested...

Dirtcrasher
08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Bought a 1985 250sx parts bike and decided to fix it insted. I got it running ok but thought carb jets were clogged and decided to clean it. I was having trouble gettin choke pin out and ended up screwing it up and since it was a original carb and I live in PA I decided to get a new carb off ebay.
I got CVK carb with a primer and hooked it up and now bike won't stay running. If I press primer bike runs good then dies. If I pull choke out it runs good then dies. If I mess with throttle bike runs good then dies! WTF did I do wrong? Anyone with this carb know how many turns of pilot screw from bottom is correct?

A Primer?? Not a good sign but if it's jetted correctly, it may help with cold starts.

Toss up a link for that carb, I have never seen anything aside from a weed whacker or a lawnmower........

atc007
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I have three carbs for sale. All three have been disassembled, the bodies bead blasted, and reassembled with a fresh rebuild kit. I have also installed all three on my SX and ran them and they all checked out great. Two are 85 carbs and one is an 86 carb but the 85s do have the cold start mod in them. These carbs are clean, serviceable and ready to go. Doug is right in that those aftermarket carbs are not a good replacement for the ES/SX. I stand behind my work!!! $100.00 shipped WITH exchange. I spend a couple of hours with each carb not counting the operationl check plus the cost of the rebuild kit. I'm certianly not selling these to make money but to help out my triker Brothers. I do the exchange thing so I can keep this going on as long as I can. These are carbs I had stashed away not helping anybody so I'm offering them up with exchange for 100 bucks shipped. What do you think killbot? or anybody else for that matter? Remember, these have been tested...

I think that's a smokin deal! Once and done. Nice work.

dougspcs
08-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Nice looking carbs..I've seen them going for around the $100 range as used pulled parts. But completely refurbished and the cold start pilot fix done..brilliant!!

Killbot
08-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Everything ends with me spending money.lol

Flyingw
08-05-2012, 11:57 PM
In the old days we would have bartered for chickens or pigs but I'm thinking those days are long gone.