PDA

View Full Version : 85 sx front axle stuck in hub and minor brake Q.

tri again
08-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I've heard many horror stories about the threads peeling off in the aluminum hub
but this one unscrewed enough to come off the forks but wouldn't come out of the hub.

I split a few 2 x 4's smacking it with a 3 lb sledge but it won't move.
Haven't dinged the threads yet so it is soaking with liq wrench.

Seems like some sort of sleeve inside the hub is stuck, maybe bearing spacer of some sort
stuck to the axle.

Luckily i was able to grab one off a parts sx so we're ok for now.

It all started with new brake shoes in prep for dunefest but took 3 1/2 hrs.
Should been less than 1/2 hr.

I have to get back in there because the brake shoes grab going forward like normal but
won't let the wheel roll backwards.unless I back it off quite a bit.

atc007
08-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Hmm, my son just put a new set on the rear of a TRX 300. Cleaned,greased,polished,, the perfect job as normal. Same thing! They work as new off the showroom floor,,push it backwards and they grab after 5 feet or so. Lock right up ! Not ashamed to admit,,I've Never seen this before! I would think ,some debris left in there. I kNOW that is not the case! His work is impeccable.

tri again
08-05-2012, 03:27 PM
all i could find were EBC brakes

remembering that the oem ones had some sort or markings on them
that may not be on the new ones....leading shoe...trailing shoe
like on a car??
idk

guess we're goin back in.

will let you know what I find.

the shoes sure looked symmetrical

wonder if there's anything in the service manual.
(doubtful, i'm just procrastinating)

thanks 007

Dirtcrasher
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
If it's out of the hub, the front axle on the SX likes to seize on the collar/spacer just near the bolt head. Or if it seized to the hub, it's seized to the bearing spacer. Or, they also seize to the ID of the brake backing plate.

That why I don't like making submarines out of my trikes; I tear everything apart and use waterproof grease.....

Flyingw
08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Dirtcrasher is absolutely right about the waterproof grease. You stick a Zinc plated Steel axle in to an aluminum threaded hole and add moisture, guess what? the axle with eventually fuse in to the hole. Waterproof grease, anti-seize or anything else on the threads will stop that from happening. That hold true for any fastener too. If you're gonna swamp the trike, do some preventitive maintenance first.

As for the brakes, ensure the brake pads are installed on the brake panel with no debris in the pivot end actuator ends. Clean everything real well. The pads are not leading and trailing design. Whats happening is one end of the pad(s) is catching the drum in reverse and it pulling the pad in to the drum. Take a file and knock the square edge off the ends of the pads. Just round the end over. be sure to scuff the drum with some 400 grit sandpaper and clean it real well.

tri again
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
you guys are freakin' ROCK stars.

hope everyone is having a great summer.

Dirtcrasher
08-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Actually, I've been weed whacking the track for 3 days now. It grows in fast if you don't ride on it often.

But, I plan on getting out there some more!