PDA

View Full Version : Jet question

TrailerRider
08-04-2012, 12:50 AM
What is the purpose of the jet on a 84 200x that is located at the the bottom of the carb bowl on the side? Could not find a adjustment spec for it in the manual or maybe I missed it. It is a flat head screw. In picture the screw at the bottom

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5430/carb26sj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/128/carb26sj.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

3wheelrider
08-04-2012, 01:19 AM
That is the drain screw-no need to mess with it.

3wheelrider
08-04-2012, 01:41 AM
You got a chinese carb (it appears) so the settings wont apply as stated in the manual for the original Keihin carb. The idle & mixture screw adjustments ARE done as stated tho.- Lets hear how it works out for you. Alot of people have had no problems with them but not me- I wont buy another.

Dirtcrasher
08-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Yeah, and the pricks run different style jets too.

That screw is very helpful for diagnosis. Many a poster on here has complained about seemingly WOT issues and others.

If that happens you shut off the petcock and see how much fuel is in there. If the bowl is full, you have a tank or petcock issue or it's not venting.

I absolutely hate my knock off Keihin......

TrailerRider
08-05-2012, 01:24 AM
OK hold up guys, that was just a random pic to show the loocation..lol It is a stock Keihin carb. Was having an issue where the gas was pouring out the over flow even with new float needle etc.. It was NOT leaking out of the drain just the over flow. I was ready to junk the carb when my boy said his was leaking and he tightend it up and it stopped leaking .. Did that with mine and it did the same thing and ran great. It there some air vs fuel weight or is it more simple then that. I have rebuilt many a carb and never had this issue before. I am not sure how this effects the float needle and and over flow.

Husky250
08-05-2012, 06:12 AM
What is a "float needle"? Not sure what you are refering to here. I know main, pilot, needle and air screw as adjustments. Excess fuel usually points to either the floats being stuck or set to high. The floats, generally, should be set level. Hold the carb up in front of you (with the bowl off) and blow into the fuel line while slowly pushing upon the floats. your air should stop moving through the line as you get level with the carb/horizon. If not bend the little tab on the float that pushes the plunger into the carb until it does

3wheelrider
08-05-2012, 10:57 AM
LOL- O.K....Check the float level like he said.^^^^^Did you inspect the condition of the float itself? Is it the all plastic type (non-adjustable) or the one with metal tabs (adjustable)? Also inspect the hole (that the pointy float VALVE inserts into) for tiny piece of debris holding it from closing/seating fully- it doesnt take much.

TrailerRider
08-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Carb was completely rebuilt, all new jets. Ports are clean and flow perfect. I thought my plastic float was bad unitll I tightend this up and now no leaking.

zzmegad
08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
its just a coincidence then right? yes if the drain is loose it will leak from there. I thought they were 2 different circuits, so no it doesn't make since that you closed the drain and it stopped leaking from the overflow. I've never looked at the carb tho.

Dirtcrasher
08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Maybe it is; But every knock off I see has a different shade on the float bowl.....