PDA

View Full Version : 250r swing arm

slaughter
07-29-2012, 04:28 PM
hey guys i need the swing arm collars for a first gen 250r and and cant find any does anyone know of something else that fits in there maybe from another model bike or a mod that anyone knows of

82 250r
07-29-2012, 05:53 PM
I had to have a machine shop make one for my 82 250r. If your interested, i can find the dimensions for you. let me know.

slaughter
07-29-2012, 06:12 PM
yea that would be great if you could do that

82 250r
07-30-2012, 11:39 PM
O.D.= 20mm
I.D.= 15.10mm
Length= 68.25mm

The dimensions were taken from a NOS collar (52141-961-000) for an 82 250r. After the heat treating, the I.D. was a bit too small. I took it back with my swingarm bolt, and they machined it out a bit and has worked fine for 6 years.

Hope this helps,
Marc

Scootertrash
07-31-2012, 08:06 AM
82 250R: If you don't mind my asking, what did they do for heat treating?

82 250r
07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
82 250R: If you don't mind my asking, what did they do for heat treating?
I don't know the method they used. I initially thought they used the wrong specs. The machinist noted that it contracted just a bit after treating.

yaegerb
07-31-2012, 01:35 PM
i would do some checking and see if a 1982 CR 250R swingarm bushings are the same dimensions or part numbers as a 1982 250R. If so, I have pasted a link to a rebuild kit below on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-Arm-Bearing-Seal-Kit-Honda-CR250R-1982-1984-/220557838185?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item335a458769&vxp=mtr

Dirtcrasher
07-31-2012, 02:19 PM
HRE can make you any swingarm to use any carrier, such as a 450R carrier and caliper.

If you haven't read anything on him, Google him.

Not cheap but if people cave have a CLUE as to what this stuff takes, they don't mind paying. Can't hurt to look him up.......

yaegerb
07-31-2012, 02:40 PM
HRE can make you any swingarm to use any carrier, such as a 450R carrier and caliper.

If you haven't read anything on him, Google him.

Not cheap but if people cave have a CLUE as to what this stuff takes, they don't mind paying. Can't hurt to look him up.......

Not cheap, but awesome work! He fabbed my westcoast shock mount for my 200x build. Very nice stuff!

slaughter
07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
82 250R: so about how much did getting those pieces made cost you

have anyone tried just cutting a 200x collar into pieces and seeing if that works

Scootertrash
07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't know the method they used. I initially thought they used the wrong specs. The machinist noted that it contracted just a bit after treating.

I know heat treating can change the size of a part sometimes. I was wondering if maybe they just did a case hardening type of heat treat that just hardens the outer surfaces of the part.

Slaughter; This isn't an offer just yet, but I just got some swing arm parts from another member and I am going to try to make a set of swing arm bushings out of Delrin that will eliminate the sleeves/collars you are talking about. I have a lot of irons in the fire right now so I don't want to offer something I can't finish.

Let me see if I can do these other bushings before I try to help you out. If you find something else in the meantime so be it. I just don't want to make a commitment I can't keep. ;)

82 250r
07-31-2012, 11:40 PM
82 250R: so about how much did getting those pieces made cost you

$65 for one. (6 years ago)
At the time, i only bought one NOS collar from Service Honda because thats all they had. It could have been the last one on earth because they were discontinued right after.
So i had to have one made.

slaughter
08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Scootertrash : that would be cool if you could do that
i know there is a guy over at airfoolers that is trying to get a group buy together for teflon bushing sets but sometimes it does take along time to get enough people together and the price may still be a bit of an isue
but in the meantime i think im going to try something with the 200x collar (i just cant see myself paying that much money for a little piece of metal)

madmel777
08-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Scootertrash :
i know there is a guy over at airfoolers that is trying to get a group buy together for teflon bushing sets but sometimes it does take along time to get enough people together

X.System on this sight made my poly bushings for my 2nd gen 250R

Scootertrash
08-03-2012, 11:01 PM
X.System on this sight made my poly bushings for my 2nd gen 250R

x.systems last post on this site was 5/29.

That's why I am going to try to make a set for the other member. I'm pretty confident I can do it.

Problem is, a lot of members of online forums don't have faith in someone trying something they haven't done before, I've seen it many times.

I made these bushings for a '91 Polaris 350L I completely rebuilt. Motor was rebuilt, tranny was gone thru, every bearing, bushing and wear part was disassembled, inspected, repaired/replaced and got fresh lube. EVERYTHING.

Here are some bushings I made for that machine. The metal ones are similar to the construction of the 250R bushings. A metal sleeve or collar that the swing arm bolt passes thru. The metal sleeve passes thru a phonelic/composite bushing/bearing that is a tight slip fit into the swing arm.

The plastic bushings are for the rear shock. The old ones were shot, as you can see, and no one sells anything that fits as a replacement, so I made 4. Two for the top shock mount and two for the bottom.

This is a chain roller I made. Once again the replacement part is discontinued. This roller fits over the swing arm mount bolt and nut to protect the swing arm bolt and nut from chain slap.

Do I have the skill to pull it off? I think I do. Will I be able to meet the anal retentive standards I set when doing something for someone else? More than likely. Will I be able to do it in a timely manner so it's worth my time to make this one set, let alone more if others want them? I(we) shalll see..........