PDA

View Full Version : I might be getting my first 86 250r :D

yamaha driver
07-29-2012, 10:56 AM
i owned all the other 250rs already, and was always hoping to get the liquid cooled beast. this one has reed spacer, bills pipe, i think he said 38mm carb all new maier plastics ported and polished and just been rebuilt with a tank of gas threw it. its from a good buddy of mine so i know its in good shape. just wondering what kind of oil/ mixture you guys run in these and also any known problems

dougspcs
07-29-2012, 11:04 AM
There are a dozen oil threads in here with all the opinions about type and mixture you could run in that machine..

It will be a machine unlike anything you own..but expect more tinkering time. Many people who think these machines can be rode hard and put away wet & dirty like the 4 strokes can to some extent usually end up with costly and untimely repairs..

This is of course a machine from racing stock..all the mechanicals work harder and require more maintenance than your 4 strokers.

Have fun with it and be respectful..this creature can turn on you really fast..!!

yamaha driver
07-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Yea i see alot of people who beat the heck out of their machines then leave them till next time to get beat on. Thats not like me at all lol.

Does it matter what the PO used for oil if i switch? i know it does sometimes on 4 strokes

atc007
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
The problems can be endless on a 26 year old race bike. All the bearings,,chain derailment into the cases/shift shaft area. Leaky seals,engine and forks. And it makes no difference whatsoever what oil you run. So long as it's clean and the right amount. Make sure your air cleaner is not just cleaned,but oiled. She has a few grease fittings also.

bkm
07-29-2012, 11:32 AM
There are a dozen oil threads in here with all the opinions about type and mixture you could run in that machine..

It will be a machine unlike anything you own..but expect more tinkering time. Many people who think these machines can be rode hard and put away wet & dirty like the 4 strokes can to some extent usually end up with costly and untimely repairs..

This is of course a machine from racing stock..all the mechanicals work harder and require more maintenance than your 4 strokers.

Have fun with it and be respectful..this creature can turn on you really fast..!!Doug my 250r has been in my family for 23 years and it never needed any more maintenance then any other bike I've ever owned. If anything it was always the most reliable of the bunch. It was built stronger and seemed to take whatever was thrown at it. Clean the filter, occasional trans fluid changes, three grease fittings, and properly tuned the bike should perform fine. Keep it out of water and deep mud because I don't care what bike it is they don't live long in those environments unless meticulously maintained.

Now take a 26 year old abused bike and get ready to wrench no matter 2 or 4 stroke.

dougspcs
07-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Doug my 250r has been in my family for 23 years and it never needed any more maintenance then any other bike I've ever owned. If anything it was always the most reliable of the bunch. It was built stronger and seemed to take whatever was thrown at it. Clean the filter, occasional trans fluid changes, three grease fittings, and properly tuned the bike should perform fine. Keep it out of water and deep mud because I don't care what bike it is they don't live long in those environments unless meticulously maintained.

Now take a 26 year old abused bike and get ready to wrench no matter 2 or 4 stroke.

I am just a stickler for minor maintenance..cleaning, disassembly and lubrication goes a long way to longevity and reliability.

The sport machines I have owned in the past and present with chain drive & disc brakes particularly have always needed and gotten more attention than my shaft-driven, drum brake equipped units..

Since I like to ride them hard and dirty, I like to stay really diligent on my after ride cleaning and lube especially on these performance designed models. The SX and ES usually just get a good cleaning, more intensive maintenance say maybe every other ride.

This was all I was referring to..

bkm
07-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I guess to each their own. I usually think just the opposite. With disc brakes if you keep good pads on there and lubing the caliper slides is a ten minute job. No leaking drums, mud caked shoes, worn out cables. No split boots on the shaft, diff fluid full of water, and if not caught within a good time no diff rebuild. Chain drives are out in the open and easily maintained and cheap and easy if needing to be replaced.

Bottom line is nothing is abuse proof and if properly maintained both will live a long and happy life.