PDA

View Full Version : 3" wheel spacers on my 350x AKA wideload!!

swampthang
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
This is what I have been tinkering with lately. I picked up a parts bike awhile back that had some 3" wheel spacers on it and decided that they would work great on my 350x. I already have some 2" spacers on my 250r and liked them so I figured I would go for it. I had to get new bolts in order to work with my stock tapered lug nuts. If you have ever looked for 10x1.25 bolts this length you prolly know how much a PITA it is to find any in a store. I had to order the bolts and it ended up costing me over $20 just in 8 bolts but I figure it was worth it to use the correct lug nuts.

I havent had a chance to test ride it yet as I need to replace a couple lug nuts that I fudged up trying to get the studs out of the hubs. After that it was totally worth the $5 I spent taking them to the machine shop to let them use a press to get them out. Lesson learned I need to buy a press.:rolleyes:

Overall width is about 52" So it should sling a corner like a madman!! I dont plan on jumping this bike so I think it should hold up pretty good. The frame and stock suspention couldnt handle my sasquatch like figure jumping anyways.:lol:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151369&d=1343406162
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151370&d=1343406162

userj8670
07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
its official...the fenders are now just for decoration:lol:

Popeye
07-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Lol that is what i was thinking. Looks damn good though. I will probably go that route on my 250r.

dustrunner
07-27-2012, 02:31 PM
wow. im thinking dual wheels would be awesome too...

RIDE-RED 250r
07-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Between my axle and rims my R has a 52" rear wheel spacing as well. I can say from experience, you will positively LOVE how much more planted that thing will be sliding through corners! It's the way Honda SHOULD have made em in the first place.....

And yes, my rear fenders are just for decoration as well. But you would be surprised how little mud/water you get on the wheeler or yourself with the rear rubber out that far!

swampthang
07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Between my axle and rims my R has a 52" rear wheel spacing as well. I can say from experience, you will positively LOVE how much more planted that thing will be sliding through corners! It's the way Honda SHOULD have made em in the first place.....

And yes, my rear fenders are just for decoration as well. But you would be surprised how little mud/water you get on the wheeler or yourself with the rear rubber out that far!

Yeah I can't wait to test it out! The best part of owning a 3wheeler is powersliding the corners hangin way off the side riding with the tires!:D

Around 52" is what alot of pro mx bikes measure out to as well. As you said its wide enough whatever is slingin off the tires will prolly miss me. I had a 400ex with race cut front fenders that I trail rode for along time. I got no muddier then when it had fenders on it.

Only down fall is fitting it in tight trails and loading it in my truck. My ramps are the widest ones I could find and they are 48" wide. I'm still suffering from a hurt back from when I backed my 250r out of my truck and ran it off the side of the ramp. ouch!

userj8670
07-27-2012, 05:41 PM

Yea i beg to differ...this is 2.5 inch wheel spacers on my 350x151384

swampthang
07-27-2012, 06:11 PM

Nah so be it. All in the name of fun right. I generally try to keep my sport bikes out of the mud if possible. Thats what the old 225dx is for mud diggin. I couldnt image turning my R loose in a mud hole. There wouldn't be a tree left that didn't have mud slung all the way to the top!

That picture looks like you had a good days ridin to me. Just think of mud as your trophy.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-27-2012, 06:54 PM

LOL! Nice!

I should have been a little more clear. The kind of riding I do is on gravel seasonal roads where the potholes fill with water after a rain. On those roads the pace is pretty quick, 45-50mph or faster. In that situation I stay fairly clean..well from the rears anyway.. The spray from the front wheel on the other hand..... different story.

Looks like you went looking for mud that day! :naughty:

Calvelage04
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I've got 2.5" spacers on the rear of my 86r. They are great in the fields, motorcross, or any other smooth surface. The only problem I have found is when I go to Haspin Acres or any ATV park that allows Jeeps and such. The rutts they create are deeper than my 20" tires and I tend to bury my carrier and get stuck which can suck when your halfway up a 100' hill. Especially when the trail gets narrow and I can't strattle the rutts.

Scootertrash
07-27-2012, 08:21 PM
That is one wide mofo. I like it. Do you find it wants to push the front when you turn?

RIDE-RED 250r
07-27-2012, 09:24 PM
That is one wide mofo. I like it. Do you find it wants to push the front when you turn?

Not sure about Swamp, but mine handles just fine... I wouldn't go back to stock width for any reason.

userj8670
07-27-2012, 09:36 PM
LOL! Nice!

I should have been a little more clear. The kind of riding I do is on gravel seasonal roads where the potholes fill with water after a rain. On those roads the pace is pretty quick, 45-50mph or faster. In that situation I stay fairly clean..well from the rears anyway.. The spray from the front wheel on the other hand..... different story.

Looks like you went looking for mud that day! :naughty:

Yes i did lol. Truthfully just normal dirt riding its not bad but its when you get in the mud and then you get them "cling ons" on your tire and they get flung forward while your riding...thats what does it! But hell yea its all part of the fun. The only part that isnt fun is then re-detailing your bike afterwards but hey you wanna play ya gotta pay!

userj8670
07-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Nah so be it. All in the name of fun right. I generally try to keep my sport bikes out of the mud if possible. Thats what the old 225dx is for mud diggin. I couldnt image turning my R loose in a mud hole. There wouldn't be a tree left that didn't have mud slung all the way to the top!

That picture looks like you had a good days ridin to me. Just think of mud as your trophy. I couldnt agree more ! I generally try and avoid the big mud holes as I like to keep my stuff nice but every now and then you just gotta and when you do go big or go home. Heres a pic of just a great muddy day. Where we were riding was pretty much a 'mudhole' park haha. Enjoy!151387

110klt
07-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Wan't to sell you'r old ones?

oldskool83
07-27-2012, 10:25 PM
lol 52" dont even look right on that thing. hope u dont bend an axle.

swampthang
07-28-2012, 09:43 AM
lol 52" dont even look right on that thing. hope u dont bend an axle.

Axle was already bent when I bought it and I had it straightened.

oldskool83
07-28-2012, 09:47 AM
ive found it easier to ride when bikes arounf 46" inches wide not sure why. i have a plu 2+2+ 250R axle on my 200x.

swampthang
07-28-2012, 09:59 AM
In these pictures i still have the metal spacer that goes behind the hub on. I can take the out and it should narrow it about 1.5" or so. Like I said I haven't gotten to ride it yet to see how I like it. If I dont care for it I can always buy an extra set of stock hubs to switch back and forth.

UPDATE; I don't know why I didn't think of it until now but I stole acouple lug nuts off my R so I could take the X for a test ride. I only rode it for a few minutes but i think I love it! I took it down the rode alittle bit to see how it did then took it out in my yard to cut a few turns, even spun a few donuts in the gravel for old times sake. Just wish the yard wasn't dead and the grass had dew on it so I could really go nuts.

It seems to be ALOT more stable and really inspires confidence in the cornering. Almost alittle too much. It didn't try to 2wheel in the corners but did seem to plant the rear for more traction. I was pulling the front tire up more then I remember in stock form.

Also had to take the R out for a spin!! What a demon!!!!

oldskool83
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
yeah the wider they are harder it is to flip. sumtime i find it little too hard to turn unless spinning the rears, thats why i say i found happy medium around 46"ish. mines 49" right not

90guy
07-28-2012, 12:57 PM
151474 here is the back of the one I just traded for.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes i did lol. Truthfully just normal dirt riding its not bad but its when you get in the mud and then you get them "cling ons" on your tire and they get flung forward while your riding...thats what does it! But hell yea its all part of the fun. The only part that isnt fun is then re-detailing your bike afterwards but hey you wanna play ya gotta pay!

I couldn't agree more. In a wierd way it almost makes me not want to ride my R, just look at it sittin pretty in the garage.... NOTE: I said ALMOST.. :lol: