PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need help on 1985 Big Red front axle spacer

MotorCity
07-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Hey all,

I'm selling my Hondaline speedometer to another member on the site. My '85 big red came with this speedo (I think from the dealer, I didnt installl it, like this when I got it).

Anyway, when I remover the speedo gear thingy that goes on teh front fork, between the right fork leg (the right fork leg when you are sitting on it; if you are looking at the machine straight on it would be the left), I'll have to put in some type of spacer to take up the space where the speedo gear was.

1). Does anyone have one of these they would like to sell?

2). Can someone send me a pic of their front fork axle spacers (without the speedo), just need to understand what it should look like. I dont know if its a single spacer, or a double spacer setup. (again, I have a "spacer" there now, that went with the speedo, maybe I just need the "original" longer spacer, or a shorter spacer to go with teh one I have now, ie, this shorter spacer would take up the space left by deleting the speedo gear thingy as I mentiion.

thanks much in advance

Mike

MotorCity
07-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Help!! I need a wheel spacer for front wheel . I think this is also referred to as a "sleeve"...Anyone got one they could sell? Anyone got one from a spare parts machine?

atc007
07-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I would hunt down Captainweezy, on here. He might have one! Did you check on the off chance that your dealer could get it?

dustrunner
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
the guy buyiing your speedo must have 1 on his bike right.... but i got 1 i could get rid of if i could find the transmission that goes down on the axle to go along with the speedo i have and want to install on my 250es...

MotorCity
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
AFter doing some research, and looking at microfiches online and taking out my front axle, this "sleeve" looks to be bolted onto the wheel. The microfiche only shows (1) sleeve part number, it doesnt show multiple, so I assume this "sleeve" is correct on my machine. Still need the spacer to replace space taken up by the speedo gear.

Can anyone take a close up picture of their 1985 Big Red front wheel, (someone who DOES NOT have a speedo), particulary the right side (side without the front brake), so I could again get a birds eye view of what the front end axle assy looks like without the speedo stuff?

jeswinehart
07-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Sorry, no pictures Mike. But, like 1234??? said about that swap, best route to go.
Oh, besides that,,, the bearing seal behind the drive gear is special too. The Hondaline install kits come with a less thicker bearing seal to accomidate the inserted part of the gear box.
If you don't include with gear box most likely the buyer will not be able to get correct fitment.
So, it would only make sense that your buyer send you his thicker bearing seal + spacer and you do like wise.
The gear box can be less then cost effective to find but the proper bearing seal,,, well they are made of unobtainium.
This speedo install kit for another machine has all the right stuff, note the "special" bearing seal.
If you use the search feature in Trikeslyveinia using words like speedo, speedo install or perhaps even 08E80-HM4-100 (speedo head #) you will get info going back to the birth of this site.
I have long been "hondalined out" but did take a gander at the left over what nots (speedo + tach stuff), no spacers, do not know where they all went from all those dam speedos I have had over the years, I will keep a eye open for them for you though.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/onedeadpresident/200X%20SPEEDO/DSCF0007.jpg

MotorCity
07-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Jeswinehart,
First, thank you very much for this information.
yes, thats what I suggested to the buyer, but he wants to keep his original stuff, in case he wants to "convert back". However, if I cant get or make this special spacer, and then a thicker bearing seal, I'll be screwed.

I'll take a look with the search and see what I come up with.

Mike.