PDA

View Full Version : how to remove anidization?

randybuster
11-26-2003, 03:27 AM
I am rebuilding a Big Red and am wondering if there is a quick easy home remedy to remove any of the anidization on a alum. motor?

atcmatt
11-26-2003, 05:43 AM
What type of bigred??

If you mean the anodizing on the engine cases, i would get some paint stripper and some steel wool and get stuck into it. It would need polishing when done though cause the steel wool will leave scratches in the casting.

Hope this works for ya.

BTW where is the anodizing on the bigred............

randybuster
11-26-2003, 06:02 AM
I am lookin at removing the anidization on the valve cover, head, cylinder, ect. I was wondering is a HCl/H2SO4 acid soak or something like that would work. (homeremedy example: toothpaste works as a silver polish). I guess I am stuck with old fasion "work". Oh well...it is worth it when it is done.

Trikeaholic
11-26-2003, 07:09 AM
DONT USE STEEL WOOL TO POLISH ALUMINUM!! dissimilar metals dont mix. There is a product referred to as "non woven" abraisives, kind of like the green pads your moms warshes dishes with. For polishing aluminum, steel and stainless, you need either a 3m "scotchbrite" or Norton "beartex". SIA also makes it, and its alot cheaper. There are 4 or five color hand pads, each is the different "grit". use maroon, and then white to finish. This is how its done. get it at an industrial supply, or my brother said he found some at lowes or home depot.

NOS_350X
11-26-2003, 10:54 AM
anidizing is the 2ed hardest thing on earth (behind dimond) so have fun removing it.

Mobular
11-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Use Easy-Off to remove ANODIZING.

Trikeaholic
11-26-2003, 01:16 PM
are we talking about OXIDATION or ANODIZING?? with the wacky spelling by some of our beloved members, its hard to tell sometimes! :D

Tri-Z Pilot
11-26-2003, 02:13 PM
I think they mean oxidation, anidized stuff is parts that you get that have that red, blue, or whatever chrome look to them. A good homeremdy to use when you want to polish something up is to use cola, and a steel wool brush (I think), but seriously, regular cola will shine the hell outta about anything, especially chrome.

badtriz
11-26-2003, 04:30 PM
i used 99 cent oven cleaner w/ the fumes. thats what i heard anyways that it has to have the fumes. well anyways, i used it on my rim on my z and it came out great. spray it on, let it sit for a couple of minutes then rinse it off and then use a scrubby brush or something, not metal, i used a sponge, and scrub the stuff off. some anodizing may be more stubborn than others but it worked excellent for me, then i used polishing compound and they came out awesome. good luck, just be sure to not leave it on for more than say 3 or 4 minutes.

junjun01
11-28-2003, 06:52 PM
are we talking about OXIDATION or ANODIZING?? with the wacky spelling by some of our beloved members, its hard to tell sometimes! :D

Sometimes I Wonder...Sometimes i Have To Guees What Some People Write Here Too !! :-D ....Don't B Offended..,I Mean Nobody In Particulaer

junjun01
11-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Oops!!...I Did It Too :oops: