PDA

View Full Version : 250r Inverted fork guys please step in.

bkm
07-22-2012, 12:38 AM
I am considering updating the complete suspension on my '85 250r to inverted fronts and complete 450r rear. I not only want a better suspension but I also want to be able to go to the local dealer and order anything I want if something breaks. I am tired of spending ridiculous money on NOS or clean used 250r parts.

I guess what I am looking for is that this front conversion isn't cheap so having done it would you do it all over again? I like the fact that cr125 forks are cheap (besides having to be modified) and I like that they are made by Honda. The KTM forks are bolt on but spendy and I have read that the springs need to be upgraded to fit the heavier bike and rider.

Looking for some feedback from those that have converted.

stroberts22
07-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Seems like I read that vtx 1800 tripple clamps works on a 250r but I don't know what all has to be done. I've also heard that inverted forks are hard on a 250r frame and has to be reinforced for them to work but thats just what I've heard. I'm wanting to build a all out mx dedicated 250r to smoke everyone (LOL) and been doing a little research on the subject and haven't found much on it.

TatTooL23
07-22-2012, 06:26 AM
The cr forks r a much better fork in my opinion.

Depending on how u ride it, it could be rough on the frame but it's kind of all hi or miss there. Obviously people have done it.

U can sort of compensate for the height in the forks with doing a 450r rear end. Overalls may have the bike sitting a by higher but u can make it work. Also maybe going to a 22 inch front tire. Small things like that to adjust it and help.

U can get CR125 forks for less then $100 in good shape. Racetech charges around $200 to shorten them.

I know what I have experienced with inverts on the front is amazing. The ride difference is incredible. Huge huge improvement.

zzmegad
07-22-2012, 07:19 AM
I have not done this mod but I have also done a ton of research on the subject. I just wanted to stop in and say that I agree with you on using the honda forks. When I do my Tri-Z, it's getting YZ forks no doubt.

bkm
07-22-2012, 04:31 PM
This is pretty much a long way off, but I would like to start collecting the parts slowly as time allows. My bike needs fork seals and the springs are weak, plus I'm tired of 26 year old technology.

Kintore
07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I used to have inverts on my 250r race bike. I cracked the frame along with it. But I also snapped a elka shock, cracked a swingarm and bent countless top and bottom shock bolts.

Its a hard call, I know some people have them and are fine. I have a racing buddy that broke a frame with stock suspension.

I think it has more to do with the way you ride and what you are doing with it. I was nailing 5th gear tables/ doubles/ tripples 60+ feet.

bkm
07-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that is just a tad bit on the wild side compared to my riding style. Cracked anything is the least of my worries when it comes to any bike that I own. My tires have a better chance of dry rotting before I break anything. I'm just a casual trail rider and if I get two foot of air I'm living on the edge.

I had a nice talk with fire1 (Tim) yesterday and I think I'm going to go with the KTM forks just for the ease of installation. I can do the internal spring upgrade myself.

zzmegad
07-24-2012, 07:28 AM
is that because they don't have to be shortened or are there other reasons for going with the KTM forks?

JasonB
07-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I know there are a few people on here that do them. Hall offers them and theres another member on here that is going to be offering them in the very near future from what I was told. I want a set BAD

bkm
07-24-2012, 04:07 PM
As soon as I finish my '86 the '85 is getting them.

Red Rider
07-24-2012, 10:43 PM
is that because they don't have to be shortened or are there other reasons for going with the KTM forks?That was my main reasoning when I went with the KTM forks. Their length is just about identical to the stock forks while offering an additional inch of travel. Their 41mm diameter is slightly larger, and therefore stiffer (less fork flex), without going too large. All of the other 85cc mini-mx bikes' (CR, KX, RM, & YZ) forks are the perfect length as well, but are only 37mm diameter, so they would be a little more flexy than stock, if you were even able to get them sprung heavy enough. The KTM 85SX forks work perfect for me, but I'm not that heavy (about 180# in full gear). If you're over 200#, you might need to go to larger diameter full-size mx bike forks, just so you can get heavy enough springs to handle the weight of the bike & rider.