PDA

View Full Version : Reparing 200x tank

yamaha driver
07-20-2012, 11:57 AM
well my tank has been through hell and back. Mabey twice. It has dents in 4 places 1 on each side next to logo, one dent is located close to the seat and one is up by the gastank flare. Also this makes it even better.. the PO used a flat screw driver and tried to pound out the dents that are by the decals. So there is about 3-4 screw driver marks on each side. im not looking to auctaly "repair" the dents. And what i mean by that is trying to pop them out cause i dont think its going to happen. any suggestions? i was thinking sand to bare metal, bondo, primer paint ect.

RiJiD-WILL
07-20-2012, 01:05 PM
i've seen some really cool custom tools, use some cheap pry bars different lengths bent at angles with a torch in the middle or wherever is best to reach, then lugnuts welded to the end round or acorn type to so you have a nice round edge.

Trick is to get it clamped down well. maybe strapped to an old frame or something.

yamaha driver
07-20-2012, 02:40 PM
but the dents are very awkward. The screwdriver markes are pressed out with the dent around it. Im trying to get it perfect or very close since this is the only thing that is left to do. i will try to get some pics of the tank this weekend

hillbilly 200x
07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
take it to a body shop they have all the right tools for pulling dents, or buy a new or better tank.

up-tyte
07-20-2012, 09:30 PM
We have had good luck removing big dents with water pressure, you just have to make sure you don't go to far.

RiJiD-WILL
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
what did you use for sealing and filling the tank?

We have had good luck removing big dents with water pressure, you just have to make sure you don't go to far.

yamaha driver I would find some cheap diff length pry bars and bend them to the right lengths/angles you need get to the dent. I have seen some amazing work done with custom tools for different jobs.

Scootertrash
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
If you know someone with Paintless dent removal tools, they may be able work the dents out, but the steel on those tanks is thicker than the steel on our modern cars.

In the old days they used to remove dents in motorcycle tanks by putting water in the tank and freezing it. You have to be very careful not to fill the tank too full or you'll split the tank.

up-tyte
07-21-2012, 08:14 AM
We would just use the garden hose to fill the tank with water and then strapped a board over the fill neck and then shot air in the outlet, after removing the petcock. Do not use the cap as a plug on the filler neck, the cap will come apart. Yes you do have to be careful to not split the tank or expand to far. I made a block to fit in where the frame would be so as not to bulge that out. Small short blast work the best, we have been able to get the majority of the dents out and then just fill the small ones. I have not heard about freezing the tank.

oldskool83
07-22-2012, 01:40 PM
any reason you dont want to buy a plastic tank? just wondering less hassel.

RiJiD-WILL
07-22-2012, 05:07 PM
cool idea thanks I have one small ding in my 250r tank and a couple knee dents in the 84 R the water pressure may work well for the knee dents.

I have frozen a couple tanks but it got the dent out slowly had to refreeze a few times and make sure the entire tank is strapped around with a block in the saddle

We would just use the garden hose to fill the tank with water and then strapped a board over the fill neck and then shot air in the outlet, after removing the petcock. Do not use the cap as a plug on the filler neck, the cap will come apart. Yes you do have to be careful to not split the tank or expand to far. I made a block to fit in where the frame would be so as not to bulge that out. Small short blast work the best, we have been able to get the majority of the dents out and then just fill the small ones. I have not heard about freezing the tank.

yamaha driver
07-22-2012, 08:03 PM
any reason you dont want to buy a plastic tank? just wondering less hassel.
i dont got that kinda cash for a new plastic one. Thats what i REALLY want though is a more capacity tank or standard plastic.

i think if i try using pressure or anything the places where the screwdriver marks are will crack open. I might fill it with water and shove it in the deep freezer since winter is so far away.

oldskool83
07-22-2012, 10:50 PM
i use to sell nice 200x tank needing paint all day long for $20, if you cant get your tends out look to ebay. alot of times plastics tanks pop up for 50 used. i spend $250 for my shorttrack style plastic on new.

yamaha driver
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
i use to sell nice 200x tank needing paint all day long for $20, if you cant get your tends out look to ebay. alot of times plastics tanks pop up for 50 used. i spend $250 for my shorttrack style plastic on new.

yea i might try ebay. that sucks i wish i could have got one from you needing paint