PDA

View Full Version : 2stroke buying tips?

hippyplz
07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I am going to look at 2 trikes tomorrow. 86 tri-z and a 85 250r I know to check the bearing and look the frame over, stuff like that but I dont know anything about a 2stroke motor. What should I be looking out for?

zzmegad
07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
basically just take em for a rip make sure they feel right, if you have no 2 stroke experience it might be difficult. Look at the wear on other parts of the machine like the pegs, plastics, rims, stuff like that could give you an idea of what it's been through, but these things are 27 years old, most of them have been through a lot. The best thing to do once you get em home is tear em down, inspect everything, and rebuild. That is the only way you will really know everything is ok. It also depends on how much you are spending, I mean if your getting great deals just grab em.

Tri-Z 250
07-19-2012, 11:25 PM
OK on the Z ask about the top end being rebuilt, ask how the motor went...head gasket? Waterpump/gasket failure can cause the head gasket to let loose. Most don't even bother to check, even though the manual recomends replacement...people cheap out and do a quick piston, bore, wristpin and gasket. Grey oil in the bottom end is also a sign of this failure. The 86Z has a 6speed bottom serial #RX1-, and extra bracing near the link on top of the swingarm is 86. The overflow bottle should be bracketed near your left leg, and the forks are the larger diameter....pretty much the only difference than color to prior models.
That being said 250R parts are easier to find. Zstuff, well can be difficult...namely clutch baskets, front tires NOS or OEM, Plastics...Don't fear some members here have done A TON to help in these areas....CosmicQuads has your seat covering and Plastic needs, as well as some bling/coolheads, and items when available by SPROCK RACING. Now Sprock does make a 310kit, and has had SSwaterpump propellers, coolheads, and other Stainless products at times. The BIGGIE is the rear shock...most are blown. Search Frankin-Shock on the Home page...thats about the cheapest route to go other than the Warrior swap...which will get ya by,IMO. Lots of stuff swap out with Blaster/Banshee search parts that interchange as well...good info to know. GOODLUCK...out of the 2...condition equal, I'd pick the Z but I'm bias.

hippyplz
07-19-2012, 11:26 PM
I only have the room and funds for one of them and there both priced about the same, but the R is 10min away and the Z is a cup hours. So I am going to check the R out first. Not really looking to tear into anything right away, just wanting a rider. Is a high idle the only sign of a air leak? Here is a pic of the 85.

yamaha driver
07-20-2012, 12:02 AM
make sure it hits higher revs and gets there quickly. If not it usualy means low compression.