PDA

View Full Version : 350X front axle holder clamp studs

350x'inNY
11-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Well... I replaced the front rim/tire and the brake rotor on my 'daily driver' 350X I bought last week, and when I was putting it back together, one of the 4 studs that holds the axle clamp on the right side sheered off. Must have been partially sheered, as I barely put any pressure on it.

What's the best way to fix this?

Bruce

ScottZJ
11-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Find you a cheap extra set of forks if you can. If not see if you can pull the rest of the screw out. If you can, then you can find one at the hardware store and install it with the head on the outside. Just make sure you get the correct length and not one too long..........peace

Beer_Smurf
11-26-2003, 01:09 AM
The studs are not special.
You can get them from various sources including Honda.

I changed them recently on my 250R.

Is it broken off flush, or is some sticking out?

Do you know how to take the forks apart?

dividebyzero
11-26-2003, 02:34 AM
The studs are not special.
You can get them from various sources including Honda.

I changed them recently on my 250R.

Is it broken off flush, or is some sticking out?

Do you know how to take the forks apart?

exactly.The studs are still available from honda.They're not that expensive.I bought 'em for the project.

350x'inNY
11-26-2003, 10:51 AM
MR ATC rebuilt my forks with Progressive Springs on my 'Showgirl' which reminds me I need to get those pics to him.

The guy that owned this 'Daily Driver' must have never heard of WD-40 and used just Cresent Wrenches, cause every bolt is rounded off. I will look closer at the Honda Studs, but then again, the cap at the top of that fork is all messed up and he has some other nut wedged on to it. I heard that the fork caps (where the valve stem is) are discontinued?

Thanks guys. I got to go see MR ATC, I just might see if he has an extra fork laying around.

Bruce

yater
11-26-2003, 11:33 AM
you can find these studs at any autoparts store

Beer_Smurf
11-26-2003, 01:07 PM
If you have some of the stud still sticking out you can grab it with vice grips.
If not you will need to drill a small hole in the stud and use an easy-out.
Either way you should disassemble the fork and heat the slider.
Heating it will expand the aluminum and make the stud much easier to remove.
Since you have come this far, you should replace the other three studs also. "All those girls have been to the same party"

Best wishes.