PDA

View Full Version : Any weak spots on an '83 200X frame?

Qdude79
11-25-2003, 03:49 PM
It occured to me that if I'm going to do a tear-down, I should repair any damage, etc. This, to me, includes preventative. Any nototiously weak spots on this frame? Please don't tell me "the whole thing" either....

Qdude

86250RZ
11-25-2003, 04:36 PM
The only problem I ever had w/ 83/84 200X frame was the frame tube in front of engine, it snaped in half on me :shock:
I should tell you that it probably will not happen to most people. Someone dared me to make a jump at the local MX track. We had a 3 wheeler track an a dirt bike track back in the day because of the suspention limitations on 3 wheelers. The jumps were much bigger on the dirt bike track and thats the one they dared me to hit agressively, i hated to be challenged so I did it even tho I knew I shouldnt. it almost cost me my life, the frame snaped then dug into the ground causing the trike to flip end over end. Now days I would never try a jump near that high w/ a trike(Older and Wiser) Sorry for the long story but thats the only problem I ever had with a 200X.

ejc042
11-25-2003, 04:41 PM
I have an 84 200X that I have ahd no problems with. Both skid plates have dents in them from rock and small tree stumps. No damage to the frame at all.

ATCMedic
11-26-2003, 02:26 PM
86250RZ pretty much nailed it, I've seen more than a few 83-85 200x frames crack, and they all do it in the same spot....the front tube by the motor mounts. Carefully check for hairline cracks while you have it down and cleaned up. You could reinforce the area, but it's probably not necessary as long as you aren't planning on taking flying lessons with your 200x. :D