PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1982 Honda ATC200 Again. New Problem.

chrismoore
07-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Ok here's the deal, when its hot outside it runs good, not great, but good, but when the temp drops it will not crank. The temp doesn't even have to drop that much. Im talking a 10 degree temp difference throws it off. The craziest thing ive ever seen. Maybe its just a coincidence but it just seems odd to me. I took it to the shop and the guy told me it was something electrical but I have no clue what. I did some searching online and found several people that had a similar problem and most people suggested that is was the ignition coil. Any ideas?

remsandpets
07-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Have you checked your valve clearences? My 83 honda 200 was the same till I changed plug and valve clearences. I dont know which did the trick cause I did them at the same time, but its worth mentioning. Is that your 200 in the avatar?

chrismoore
07-12-2012, 10:30 PM
it has a new spark plug. i had a couple people tell me its my cdi, one guy said his was doing the same and he heated the cdi up with a hair dryer and it worked fine. im not a very mechanical person so how do i check the valve clearances? and yes that is the 200 in question in my avatar.

dougspcs
07-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Do you mean 'won't fire' or 'won't crank'?

You terms are confusing. Won't crank means the electric start won't engage and turn the engine but I'm pretty sure that isn't what you're talking about.

I'd treat it as a typical weak/no spark diagnosis..there are a hundred of those in here. Check stator, check coil, check CDI, check grounds and connectors..manuals online. It's impossible to diagnose with the little bit of information here.

chrismoore
07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
It has no electric start, recoil start only, so its a spark issue. The guy at the shop told it is was an electrical problem and it was firing improper but now i have no spark at all even when the weather is nice and hot. Someone suggested warming up the cdi with a hair dryer and i tried it with no luck. I'm just getting into this and dont know much about anything yet. How do i go about checking these items. I know where the cdi, cdi pick up, and the strator are located but how do i test them? I'm assuming a volt meter of sorts and test each while someone rips on the recoil? If so where should I start and what path should I take, say start at cdi, it tests good, then go to pick up coil, it tests good, move on to strator, etc.

P.S. Sorry for all the questions, I know I can get a little annoying but I'm just trying to learn all I can so next time I won't have to ask.

P.P.S. I have been seeing a lot of ad's on craigslist where people have put new carbs on and now they don't get spark. Is just some stupid simple fix or what? It just seems real common around here.

yaegerb
07-13-2012, 06:09 PM
First step is go buy a manual. Everything you need to know about your bike will be in that wonderful little book.

3wheelrider
07-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Most likely/commonly is a faulty stator (behind flywheel). You can test for any voltage on the black/red wire comin out of the stator see if you get any volts when you pull-get someone to help you test/pull. You can also test for continuity & check the ohms (about 245 k) on that wire too- however it can also test fine at times but be faulty anyway. If its the stator,- you need to replace the top stator coil only. Its cheap (aftermarket) or get a used OEM & you'll need is a flywheel puller & soldering gun/solder. You should check the end of the coil wire first & inspect your harness carefully first. CDI is difficult to test. Coil can be tested. Check behind the cover that says CDI for anything wrong. Download a manual. Like I said stator is most likely the culprit.

MonroeMike
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Testing procedures.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126290-ATC185-200-Service-Data

kb0nly
07-14-2012, 01:00 PM
My general experience when it comes to these machines not having spark is its either a bad connection somewhere, a bad stator/exciter coil, or a bad CDI. I have RARELY seen a bad coil on them. A bad plug wire yes, but a bad ignition coil NO.

Before you tear it apart, put a voltmeter on the output of the stator/exciter coil (i say stator/exciter because people interchange that term) and crank it, see if you get voltage output. Be sure your meter is set to AC voltage. Every one that i have tested is 10-30v depending on health of the windings and engine cranking speed. If you don't see sufficient voltage then tear into it. Checking the ohm reading of the coil only tells you if there is a problem, but not what the problem is! I helped fix a 200 a couple years ago that turned out to be a bad connection, a little soldering on that tab where the wire connects to the coil fixed it up.

If you do have voltage output start going through the wiring one connection and a time, starting at the stator/exciter connector and moving through all the ignition parts. I would definitely consider a new CDI though as well, they are a common problem.

chrismoore
07-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok I feel like a dummy. I checked the plug for giggles and it was indeed bad. It was less than a couple months old so I didn't even think about it. One of the guys my brother works with messes with old trikes a lot and he said old Honda's like this are bad about fouling a plug, he never goes riding without at least two spares. Could this be a problem and if so what should I check first? I have just gotten a meter but haven't had the chance to test anything yet. Thanks for all your help and patience guys.

kb0nly
07-15-2012, 11:59 PM
They love their plugs... I have a couple spares, one in the trunk and one in the tool kit under the seat on my 200ES. Get the NGK plugs, they last the longest, but yes they do seem to go through plugs. Try leaning the mixture screw a bit after you put in a new plug.. My 200ES was fouling the plugs and running rich until i put on a new exhaust that flows better then it was running just about right, plug a nice tan, leaned it out just a smidge more on the mixture screw and the top end felt better and its a nice brown plug now.

If its fouling the plug its a fuel problem or valve adjustment, but could also be a plugged up exhaust. My stock exhaust was stuffed up and rotted out.

chrismoore
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
valves are fine. had them checked when the new carb was installed. as far as fuel is concerned i run non ethanol super unleaded in it only. ill check the exhaust, sometimes it will cut out at a little beyond 3/4 throttle and thick black smoke will come out the pipe so i assume my exhaust is messed up.

EDIT: Anyone know where I can get an exhaust for my trike? I searched on ebay and came up with headers only, the mufflers I found (2 to be exact) were screwed up. I found the cobra exhaust but they are not made anymore. Any help would be awesome. If someone on here has one they would sell I'd be happy to buy it.

kb0nly
07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
The only one i know still making an exhaust for the 200's thats factory fit is DG, i have the DG exhaust on my 200ES and i love it, better top end, smoother throttle response. Some say its louder than the stock, but to be honest i don't know because my stock was so rotted out that it was louder... LOL

https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/rcm-steel-complete-exhaust-system.p44538.prd/44540.sku

yamaha driver
07-16-2012, 10:46 PM
i dont know if the exhaust are the same on these compared to the 82 big reds. but if they are 200x exhausts fit.