PDA

View Full Version : Restoring rusty rims

maxdallasfan
07-08-2012, 09:16 PM
After hours of struggling today to break the beads on my Yamaha 200k, I finally got the tires off. The rims were very rusty, so I sanded them until shiny, then I sprayed them all over with zincron, then a coat of primer. I'll be painting them this week.

My question is: is it ok to paint the whole rim or will this affect the new tire from getting a good seal on the bead? Or should I remove the primer and zincron and let the bead sit on metal?

Flyingw
07-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Actually, you're right on track. A fresh coat of paint will help the beads seal. Be sure to put some Scoobie Lube on the tire beads before mounting. Rock on....

maxdallasfan
07-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Whew! Thanks. I was worried that I screwed it up. You answered my question about lube that I forgot to ask. Thanks man!

Yamaha_Rules69
07-08-2012, 09:33 PM
It will not hurt it to paint the whole rim, just make sure the paint has had a chance to fully dry (few days) berfore mounting the tires. It may not be a bad idea to do the inside of the rim on a steel rim, as moisture and condessation does get in there, and will help prevent the tire "rusting to the rim." You can wrap your tire irons in duct tape to reduce scratching to your new paint job when re-mounting. And the paint will not affect the bead seating surface, just make sure to use plenty of soapy water or whatever you prefer.

maxdallasfan
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the tip. What do you guys know about yamalube tire lube? Is it necessary to use a "lube" to seat the bead?

Was Scoobie Lube a joke? I think it was. Stupid me!

Yamaha_Rules69
07-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Lube is definatly necessary to seat the bead. I use a heavy mxture of dawn dish soap and warm water. Put it in a bottle, shake it up, pour it on the bead, get the tire on the rim, put a little more on if necessary before the air, and it works every time. I have used soap on truck tires, car tires, 3 and 4 wheeler tires, motorcycle and dirtbike tires, and lawn tires. You dont need any special lube, just use dawn dish soap.

maxdallasfan
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Appreciate the tips. Thx

Flyingw
07-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Scoobie Lube is any lubricant. It applies to anything slippery. I'm sorry, I hit my head when i was a kid too many times. I still call snacks, Scoobie Snacks. My wife thinks I need to be committed.

maxdallasfan
07-09-2012, 08:09 AM
haha. no worries. totally understand!