PDA

View Full Version : Engine bog/skipping sounds

toddsf150
07-06-2012, 10:22 PM
'85 250sx. When I give the trike full throttle, it really bogs down. It almost acts like its going to cut off, and sounds like it is skipping. Is it just flooding out, or should i clean the carb? It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot. If I ease into full throttle, it doesn't do it. Any ideas are appreciated!

jdtench
07-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm having the same issue with my '84 200es. I just attributed it to its age and didn't worry about it, but it was very annoying while riding. So, I'm looking for an answer myself. I've adjusted my valves, and it didn't solve my problem. I'll see what others post. Oh, nice to see someone else from the Southeast!

kb0nly
07-06-2012, 11:53 PM
My 84 200ES was doing that also, wasn't the carb, my spark advance wasn't working right and the CDI was giving it weak spark. Replaced both and she runs like a champ now!

Flyingw
07-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Todds, your carb is plugged up. Complete teardown, blow through and clean or replace jets. New gaskets as well. Im doing a carb for chopsaw right now. It was in horrible condition. The SXs are bad about junk in the carb because of the corroded metal tanks.

toddsf150
07-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah I feel like a good carb cleaning is in order. I know the tank is free of rust, but that ethanol filled gas may be contributing to the gum in the carb. Do you think the jets are partially clogged, and when a high flow of gas is sent through the jets, its restricting?

Flyingw
07-07-2012, 02:19 AM
ya it dont take much to foul the jets. You should be able to hold them up to a light and see if the hole(s) is clear. Blow air through all the holes in the body. On the 85 carbs both ES and SX, the startup jet is pressed in. Be sure to remove that and be sure its clear too. Take a #4 sheet metal screw and screw it ever so tight;y in to the jet. Lay a thich screwdriver shank across the jet stacks and use a flat blade screwdriver under the screw head and gently pry up, It will come out but you need a #4 screw. Besure to adjust the linkage on the cable side so the slide and butteryfly actuate at the same time. This is very important. Thats what the slotted lever is for. You open or close that groove so the linkage is just touching the tab sitting above it. The tab is connected to the butterfly so when the cable pulls, it pulls on the slide linkage that pushes on the butterfly linkage and they need to open at exactly the same time. I do these carbs all the time for people and I strip and clean these things the same way every time and every time they work. I just finished a carb for chopsaw that was put together from 4 different carbs and it just fired right off and idled very smoothly. These carbs still have allot of life left in them. The key is to ensure the plumbing works, they can breathe, and are tight. I bead blast the bodies and bowl, the screws, plastic cover, and a few other things. Thoroughly wash and blow 4 or 5 times. I inspect the jets one at a time, I drill the 85 startup jets with a .080mm micro drill to fix the cold weather start problem. Take your time and be thorough with it and will will make your SX roar to life once again. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

atc007
07-07-2012, 07:50 AM
You have a camera in my shop W ?? Couldn't have said it better myself!