PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/ shiting issues?

toddsf150
07-06-2012, 10:18 PM
I have a stock '85 250sx. It seems the clutch may be slipping a bit. When I shift from gear to gear, it seems the motor will rev up for a split second, and then engage the rear tires. What's yalls take? It has the original clutch. How hard would it be to change if this is the problem, and where can I get one? Thanks.

RiJiD-WILL
07-07-2012, 12:47 AM
well if your clutch has sh1ting issues I think its time for some TP .

have you tried adjusting the clutch?

toddsf150
07-07-2012, 01:47 AM
To be honest, I don't know how to adjust the clutch. Where is that adjustment made?

Flyingw
07-07-2012, 02:30 AM
The screw on the right clutch cover is to adjust the point in which the clutch is disengaged when the shifter is moved up or down. If its slipping in gear, the clutch plates and/or centrifical clutch shoes are worn beyond limits. Yes there are two clutches. More than likely the clutch plates are the problem but its best to put in a fresh set of centrifical clutch shoes if you're going to open it up. You will probably going to need a freash gasket. Drain the oil or lay it on its left side. You will need a 24mm socket(I think) and an impact to take both hub nuts off. THE NUT ON THE CENTRIFICAL CLUTCH IS REVERSE THREAD.... Chapter 8 in the factory manual tells you how to do it. Not hard but it does take a couple of hours to do. The footpeg assy needs to be removed from the frame so the clutch cover will come off.

Flyingw
07-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Here's a link to the manuals.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/