PDA

View Full Version : Question about 350x clutch issue..dragging when clutch disengaged!!

dougspcs
07-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Just in the process of sprucing up my 350x for a ride..while running it around the yard I noticed that when I pull the clutch lever in and come to a stop it's nearly impossible to shift to Neutral without shutting off the engine. Also when I'm sitting on the concrete drive where rolling resistance is low it creaps along slowly..

I have tried to adjust the clutch..no change.

The manual troubleshooting says the cause of this is warped clutch plates..

PO showed me receipts for repair from years past and clutch replacement is on the list, but non-OEM parts were used so anything is possible inside. I considered that maybe he used the wrong oil and the disks are swollen, I've just changed the oil with GN4 and maybe with a bit of riding it will work itself out..you think?

Is there anything else I could be missing or should I just order an OEM clutch pack and be done with it?

(Damn it does run nice though..look out Jason, I'm coming for you)

RoscoW
07-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey Doug.
Another possible is a grooved clutch basket that wasn't replaced or smoothed out with the clutch replacement. If the tabs on the fibers hang up in the grooves and can't slide open and closed smoothly it will bend or twist the plates causing a slight drag as well. either way your pulling the clutch out. The grooves can be filed flat again with a flat hand file.

Ross..

I'll take care of it for ohhhh lets say a 200X...:lol::lol::lol::naughty:

Jason125m
07-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Doug, the reason is what Ross said above. Mine does it, the trick to shifting to neutral is giving it a bit of throttle, it will shift in perfectly everytime with a little bit of gas.

dougspcs
07-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey Doug.
Another possible is a grooved clutch basket that wasn't replaced or smoothed out with the clutch replacement. If the tabs on the fibers hang up in the grooves and can't slide open and closed smoothly it will bend or twist the plates causing a slight drag as well. either way your pulling the clutch out. The grooves can be filed flat again with a flat hand file.

Ross..

I'll take care of it for ohhhh lets say a 200X...:lol::lol::lol::naughty:

Good to know where the problem is coming from, it was causing me to scratch my head since it didn't change no matter how much I tightened the clutch up..almost to the point of slipping when engaged!!

Nice try Ross the 200X is staying where it is :D..I can handle this one. I appreciate the free advice on how to fix it though...:naughty:

For the short term I'll just ride it and shift to 'N' using Jason's technique..

Once I have the time to get into it I'll probably grab an OEM clutch set..no point in going in there and not replacing. Then I'll never have to do it again..

Thanks guys..alway learning something here!