PDA

View Full Version : cracked case does it matter?

86R
07-03-2012, 02:05 AM
This is right above the front sprocket does this affect anything performance wise or purely cosmetic?

falloutboy
07-03-2012, 05:45 AM
edited for sake of better pic being posted

3wheelrider
07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
My motor looks exactly like that (damage on that bolt hole)- it was like that when I bought the motor on EBAY. That was many years ago now. That spot has a long bolt that goes thru to the other side of the motor. This damage is caused by throwing the chain & slamming into the sprocket cover (which that bolt runs thru). I'm sure there is many others runnin with the same damage. No oil/air should come out. Really, the worry is air sucking in - but not from that cracked area rather -its the middle of the case where that long bolt helps squeeze the cases together that you have to worry about.- That being said tho-I dont think you will have any problem - mine hasnt been a problem with that same damage & no bolt. Altho -I split the the case as soon as I got it & put all new bottom end/gaskets. But you should be fine too. Did you just get it or did it just happen?-Anyway, clean it up & do a leak down test to be sure its not an issue. I'd like to see what the others say about this- I'm sure its pretty common. & get a better pic to see it better!

86R
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
It was cracked when I bought it. Here's a clearer pic. Its a bit grimy from a fuel leak.

Big Mike
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
I wouldnt worry about that, if you are ultimately concerned about it you could probably recreate that hold with an epoxy or something like jb weld, redrill the hole and put a bolt in. I have done that before on a similar situation on a sportbike motor once.

brapp
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
find a small diamiter brake tubing and drill the hole out slightly and put itin the hole to the nd of th ebreak and reshape aroudn the proken part out with jb weld if you want to hold the case saver.

Big Mike
07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Thats a good idea with the brake line brapp, next thought of that one. Good call.

hogmuffin
07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
the case is cracked like that on my R. but its the bottom bolt for the chain guard. should have caught it before i bought it, somebody siliconed it all up. it does leak oil. and i'd like to eventually find a new case

yaegerb
07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
That break is merely cosmetic. Although I hate it when that crap happens and I second Brapp's comment. I would HAVE to fix it if it were me.

kb0nly
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
I have fixed stuff like that before, it takes a little time but its not too hard. Here is how i do it... Alumiweld rods!

I have fixed cases and covers, its all in the prep work. Powerwash, degrease it good, wire brush, get the break/crack good and clean. Then a torch and alumiweld rods takes care of it. For a crack i usually fill the crack just above the surface and then work it back down flush and smooth, blend it in, repaint, etc. For a broken off piece like that i would get it good and clean and use a piece of copper pipe for an outside form and a piece of steel rod for an inside form, or you could make it solid and drill and retap it too depending on how you need it, but basically you recast the missing piece with alumiweld rods and then rework it. The key is to get it good and clean and rough up the surface so that you get good adhesion. It works!

I never have had any luck with stuff like JB Weld, that crap always falls off in a week or two.

brapp
07-04-2012, 12:38 AM
yes a piece of copper rod solid preferably inside and tig aluminum rod around the broken area and build it back up, the aluminum will not sticlk to the copper rod very easily. but a steep brake line boss is the easiest way.