PDA

View Full Version : Chance to buy one of two 350x..All done - before&after!!! Revised 1st post!!

dougspcs
06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Well again guys thanks for the input..when I arrived this morning and saw the 86 in more than just CL listing pics I knew the advice and decision was 100% correct.

The machine is in as good a shape as the seller stated..and look thru the camo, which he did a remarkably thorough job of. Under the seat, air box, exhaust, rims..everything. This machine is a beauty..

I will probably get the camo off the plastic, tank and rims..but after that not go over board as I did on my 350x last year. Then I won't afraid to ride it and make it messy!!!

Here are the before pics Bill asked about..I'll post back in the next week or 4 once I get it looking a bit better. But right now...GOTTA GET TO KNOW HER AT BIT :naughty:!!

Also, check out the little trailer I picked up for $200 a couple weeks back..fit it up with an ATV wheel chock and it's a perfect one trike trailer!!

Well I got on bit of a mission to rub the ugly off this trike these last few days and the results, though not to the standards of a full restore, are pretty good. I can now hold my head up and not feel like the ugly sister when riding with the guys..

I know there is alot of room for perfect, but in this case I'll settle for decent. I promised my wife this one was for riding, not prancing so it didn't have to be perfect. Maybe one year she'll get a strip down clean up..but today, well you be the judges!!

Big Mike
06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Nice X! Nice newer rear tires, OEM fork boots, even a rear garnish, and the paint doesnt look too thick on the plastics so removing it shouldnt be too bad.

06-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Did the previous owner have any of the paper work like title or anything like that?

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
there is some stuff they make especially for removing spray paint, like for vandalism and such i bet that would work great on that.

atc007
06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Good garnish,,toolbox,god looking muffler. Somebody scored!! Congrats again Doug ! Wonder how it'll compare to your old one. Too bad he did such a THOROUGH job right down to the seat and triples!!

dougspcs
06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Did the previous owner have any of the paper work like title or anything like that?

Acutally Michigan didn't title their machines back then..so I take the bill of sale into the Michigan SOS (secretary of state) office and make an application for title. Easy peasy!!

there is some stuff they make especially for removing spray paint, like for vandalism and such i bet that would work great on that.

As long as it doesn't eat plastic..any idea what it's called?

Good garnish,,toolbox,god looking muffler. Somebody scored!! Congrats again Doug ! Wonder how it'll compare to your old one. Too bad he did such a THOROUGH job right down to the seat and triples!!

Yeah he was thorough alright..I spent a bit of time out in the heat trying a bit of wet sanding. He sanded the plastic and primed before he painted..I see a few hours in this job.

I can't see much else wrong with the old girl..

Maybe just ride it and clean it up when the weather cools!!

hublake
06-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Stole another one from Michigan!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
He just didn't understand what that camo paint would do to it. Just glad it runs well and whats the big dealio if you have to buy 2 fenders.

Maybe it's me but I buy what I want/need.

ATVparts depot seems to have the best MAIER costs.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bkm
06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Doug, soak a rag in brake fluid real good and wipe down all area's of the paint let it sit for a while and you should be able to wipe off the camo. Repeat for stubborn areas. That is what I call a diamond in the rough. Nice score.

dougspcs
06-29-2012, 06:04 PM
He just didn't understand what that camo paint would do to it. Just glad it runs well and whats the big dealio if you have to buy 2 fenders.

Maybe it's me but I buy what I want/need.

ATVparts depot seems to have the best MAIER costs.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a shame to take the original plastic off..it's in such good shape. I think I'll take a shot at cleaning it up..

Stole another one from Michigan!!!!!

I like to think of it as stimulating the economic rebound!!

Doug, soak a rag in brake fluid real good and wipe down all area's of the paint let it sit for a while and you should be able to wipe off the camo. Repeat for stubborn areas. That is what I call a diamond in the rough. Nice score.

Never thought of that..messy but it just might work. Have you tried this before and know it won't eat the plastic??

The wet sanding was making my arms hurt..effective but slow going.

bkm
06-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Nope won't hurt the plaatic. Think of brake fluid rezzy's. If he didn't rough up the platics before spray bombing them they will shine underneath after the brake fluid. I did this to another set of '86 350x fenders after I had wet sanded my as$ off. The spots that I hadn't sanded yet turned out great.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-29-2012, 08:04 PM
i just googled spray paint remover and a TON of stuff comes up, just give that a look.

250r kid
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
looks good,i bet in a few weeks it will look alot better,GO. DOUG GO.:lol:

atc007
06-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Great advice guys! Never thought of brake fluid ???!

dougspcs
06-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I think I found a winner..I bought a sanding pad that fits in my cordless drill with 220 grit disks. I did about 80% of the rear fender in 20 minutes.

The rest I will have to use the brake fluid idea to get where the sanding pad can't reach..

I might get this cleaned up quicker than I thought!!

bkm
06-29-2012, 10:53 PM
220 is very rough and will leave deep scratches that will just take longer to work out. A wise plastic restorer guy that goes by Mr. Clean once told me to never go lower than 400 to start with. His gas tanks could use a little work around the filler necks and I won't hold that against him, but he's pretty good at this plastic polishing stuff.:D

And for those that don't know the "Filler Neck" comment is a joke from a previous thread.

dougspcs
06-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I needed to start with 220 because the layers of camo paint are thick and the fender is really scratched from the POs prep work..I'll work to finer after the heavy stuff is off.

bkm
06-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Ahh I see, so he did rough up the surface before bombing it. That makes sence.

dougspcs
06-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Ahh I see, so he did rough up the surface before bombing it. That makes sence.

Roughed it, primed it and layered..really thorough camo paint job for sure!! I really had to get aggressive to get thru, even BKM's idea of the brake fluid wasn't cutting the layers.

Fungo Wizard
06-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Well I have found that oven cleaner is a good paint remover also. I would test underside before I got carried away on fenders though. I sprayed it on black painted ris and let it set for couple minutes and power washed it right off. Just an idea.

Bryan Raffa
06-30-2012, 07:58 AM
OVEN CLEANER!!!!!!!!!!!!! lemon sent...lol

dougspcs
06-30-2012, 03:29 PM
A little progress today cleaning up the rear plastic, mostly rotory sanding with the pad I got with some 220 grit, then hand wet sanding the parts the pad can't reach.

Before:

Then a 1st coat of Krylon for plastic..

Not a Mr Clean job by a long shot, but then I'm not going for restore quality. Just a quick clean up to get rid of most of the ugly camo..turned out pretty good. I'll give it a bit of a wet fine sanding in a couple days then a second coat to give it a good finish.

Looks pretty good so far I think!!

I'll post more as the job progresses...

atc007
06-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Ohhh yeah! What a difference!

06-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Dayum thats a night and day difference i can already tell this is gonna be a very nice trike once your done with it!!

badass350x
06-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Doug , I had a 250sx that looked just like that including the motor, Im telling you the best thing snd easiest way to remove it is spray on paint remover from the hardware store,, 5 cans and a good washing with soap and water followed by some spray on wax looked good in about 6 hours! Granted you will still need to wet sand out his prep work...

Dirtcrasher
06-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Looks like you made some progress :D

dougspcs
07-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Check 1st post for before/after pics..

hillbilly 200x
07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
i will have to get my 350 out now if you come back for a ride at the ganny. no way is my 200 going to bet that lol

dougspcs
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
i will have to get my 350 out now if you come back for a ride at the ganny. no way is my 200 going to bet that lol

Definitely putting a date in the calendar late summer/early fall..you can count on it. Hopefully you can get the 350 of yours dialed in by then!

And help Jason find a rear mono to help keep his azz on the seat!!

userj8670
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Hey man thats a great job so far! Congrats

sinsayers
07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
looks great, good job on the scrubbing!

hillbilly 200x
07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I already did that. Its now at a friends of ours house along with a few other 350x parts.

And help Jason find a rear mono to help keep his azz on the seat!!

BeersBuds&Mud
07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Definitely putting a date in the calendar late summer/early fall..you can count on it.

Man, She cleaned up nicely!! maybe I can tag along when you go out there to ride again?? Ill tow my own trailer and stuff!!

dougspcs
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Man, She cleaned up nicely!! maybe I can tag along when you go out there to ride again?? Ill tow my own trailer and stuff!!

Sounds good..I have a good place about 45 minutes from Sarnia. Is there any place decent within that on your side??

I assume you have a passport and can cross the border?

Was planning on a ride next Sunday if it's too hot..you're welcome to join.

BeersBuds&Mud
07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Sounds good..I have a good place about 45 minutes from Sarnia. Is there any place decent within that on your side??

I assume you have a passport and can cross the border?

Was planning on a ride next Sunday if it's too hot..you're welcome to join.

yup, have a passport and no drunk drivings!!:lol:
On the island in the summer we dont have alot of places to ride, so we go up to lawiston alot!! but in the winter time its same of the best riding around!!
And ya if you guys are going to do some riding this weekend just PM me and ill come over!!