PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z steering stem bearing question?

tecat-z
06-28-2012, 07:49 PM
As Tri-z owners know, the upper tree bearing is made up of the PITA small independent balls. I'm sure there is a tapered bearing race combo that interchanges, but i've never really looked into it. I am starting to round up pieces for an upcoming build, and would finally like to put an end to this setup on at least one Tri-z. Thanks.

badass350x
06-28-2012, 08:54 PM
You and me both, haven't seen anything yet!

TimSr
06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
All Balls used to have a tapered bearing for it. I've got one in my racer. Dads on .org used to be a dealer. I dont know current status of him or the bearings though.

MonroeMike
06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
http://www.allballsracing.com/steering/22-1019.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ytz250+stem+bearing+all+balls&_sacat=0&_odkw=ytz250+stem+bearing+akk+balls&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Bryan Raffa
06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
all Balls... and when you install it the top race will stick up out of the neck a touch,,,, that's normal

tecat-z
06-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Excellent, and thanks guys for the info. Wonder why Yamaha didn't go this route from the git-go? Bryan, can the new top race be installed a bit deeper to offset the height difference in bearings? or is there a step in the neck that prevents that?

rockinrod80
06-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Excellent, and thanks guys for the info. Wonder why Yamaha didn't go this route from the git-go? Bryan, can the new top race be installed a bit deeper to offset the height difference in bearings? or is there a step in the neck that prevents that?

the race bottoms out on a stop so you can't go down any farther

El Camexican
06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Like Raffa said, the top race sticks out. It is supposed to do that, but it looks wrong until you get the dust cap on it. I found my All Balls on eBay and then because they stuck out of the top thought they were no good. I ended up on the phone with them looking like an idiot. Turns out they work great AND they fit a bunch of different bikes, so they should be available for a long time. FYI: I think most OEM use those stupid balls because they are cheaper than tapered bearings. It’s all about the buck.

New2Tri-Z
02-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Hey guys, I am currently removing all the races on my frame for powdercoating. Having a hell of a time getting the upper race and lower tappered race out of the steering stem. I am assuming they both have to come out but are they pressed or something? Also cant seem to get the tappered bearing off of the stem itself atached to the lower tripple. Is there a trick out there for getting all of these apart? Please help!

El Camexican
02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
A 10” long piece of ½” round bar with square ends will knock out most races easily, just work your way around them to keep the race coming out straight. If there is no part, or lip of the race exposed you will need to weld a piece of flat-bar into the race and beat it out. Some guys weld all around the race and let it fall out, but I prefer the flat-bar. Less welding, still shrinks the race and if it doesn’t fall out you have something to use a drift on. As far as removing the bearing from the tree stem I believe the proper way is to press out the stem and knock the bearing off with a metal tube. However I always just end up cutting them off with a Dremel. I’m not proud of this and almost always knick the stem, so if you do go that route you do so at your own peril. When it comes time to assemble your parts your freezer and a heat gun will help a lot.

New2Tri-Z
02-15-2013, 09:44 PM
So the All Balls kit only replaces the top bearing. What about the lower bearing that is pressed on the stem. Looks like Yamaha still sells it but my question is about the tapered race/seat pressed in the frame at the bottom of the down tube, Im powdercoating the bike so was gonna try to knock it out but cant seem to find a part# or anything about replacing it. Plus it looks like a major pain to get it out. Do I just leave it? Or do I try to get it out and if so where do I get a new one?

Bryan Raffa
02-15-2013, 10:12 PM
its both bearings and races and dust seals.... the top BB race comes out easy with a punch from the bottom... the bottom race i slice with a torch.. because it almost impossible to get with a punch/air hammer.
STEM..
Take a torch and heat the race on the bearing it will pop off easy ... heating the new one will help installing just ask ...

this will help remove from stem. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTA-Tools-8060-Small-Bearing-Separator-Tool-2-1-4-/190758427933?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2c6a169d1d&vxp=mtr