PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx shift problems

tri again
06-28-2012, 06:29 PM
I read everything I could with the search key.

Bought a "pin" that often breaks 24652HAO 000

and the arm, gearshift 24621 HAO 020 (thanks howdy)

Did an autopsy on a dead sx and clearly visible under the Left side cover are the
parts in question.
The parts trike looks good so now it's off to the daughters machine.

If I pull her left side cover and pull out the shift shaft like I did on the parts trike,
slid right out,
Is something gonna fall off on the Right side? or can I just weasle the new
parts back in and button it up?

Thanks

Jason125m
06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Nothing will fall off, put it in, and you're good to go.

tri again
06-28-2012, 07:01 PM
You're my hero.

Working outside so sooner the better.

We had a plane crash here a couple days ago and I jumped on
the #1 trike and it wouldn't shift.
Next had a dead battery but it kickstarted.
4 neighbors died.
Cessna 172
4,200 ft run way
Clipped a tree?
wtf comes to mind.

A 172 should be able to take off, T&Gland and take off again in that amt
of distance.

Time to get serious.

Yeah, I heard about NOT pulling the right angle pinion to the diff.

Something on the OTHer side falls off and it's days and days of screwage.

How's thing up north?

oh, and thanks again.

I better get to it.

seeya

Flyingw
06-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Not so fast Jason..... There is a clutch actuation arm that slides on to the end of the shift shaft on the right side. See the pic. This can fall off if the shift shaft is removed. Its best to leave oil in the tranny. Tip the trike over on its right side and carefully pull the old shift shaft out and slide the new shift shaft in aligning it to the shift drum tab on the left side.

tri again
06-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey FW,

just got back inside (gave up on the fix because of the dark) and yes.

I'd vote that IF the trike is exACTly level on it'sside,

parts may stay put and the shift shaft COULD go right back where it belongs IF
nothing moves..

Looking fwd to coffee, bright light and daughters sx all happy again.

Thanks for all the help.

Looking fwd to not walking the pasture tomorrow.

Flyingw
06-29-2012, 02:16 AM
You're welcome. Glad I can help. I've rebuilt a few of the SX/ES motors so I have them wired.

tri again
06-29-2012, 03:03 AM
You're welcome. Glad I can help. I've rebuilt a few of the SX/ES motors so I have them wired.x2
Closest I've been is the side cover of a 110
and I had that sucker dead level on it's side and
Everything wanted to move even without touching anything.
My vote is to lay the trike on it's side BUT with the plane of the gasket sealing surfaces
dead level to sea level,

Carefully remove the shifter (LT) side cover and without disturbing anything
rotation or gravity wise,
pull out the shifter shaft that runs thru the other side of the engine
and slip another one into and through the cases and hope to the trikegods that nothing
moved and the new shaft drops right where it belongs, splinewise (clockface degree wise)

My question is: who thought of this stuff in the very First place?

Geniuses

Jason125m
06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I've always thought it was silly to be so cheap that you tip the trike on its side. I've done this exact fix on two of my trikes, always on all 3 wheels, and I never have a problem re insertting the shift shaft. I know there is the splines it sits in, bit I can't see it ever becomming dislodged.Aslong as You pull it out and don't jerk the thing around, there's no need to tip on its side....

Flyingw
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I have had the clutch arm come out of the bearing on the right side driving me to pull the right cover to reinstall it. A little trial and error led me to this method. The oil still in the tranny helps to keep the arm stuck in place. The arm is normally supported on the right by the bearing and the shift shaft on the left but when on its wheels and you pull the shift shaft out, it lends way to the arm not being supported thus falling out of place. It works every time laying it over.

To answer your question...... Japanese Honda Mechanical Engineers. This is the essence of the auto clutch. The fork assy the clutch arm slips to in the clutch cover moves a clutch lifter to disengage the clutch whenever the shifter is moved up or down from its detent position. The adjustment screw on the clutch cover moves the clutch lifter in or out to set the proper clearance between the clutch lifter and the clutch hub. The book says to rotate the screw CCW until resistance is felt. This is the point where the lifter engages the clutch hub. Then back it off CW about 1/4 turn to set the proper clearance.

Dirtcrasher
06-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Best thing is to drain the oil and tank; Then lay the trike on it's right side and have at it.

Again, NEVER remove the output shaft unless you know the tricks and tips......

Seems like you'll be AOK :beer