PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 Sprocket sizes on Lifan conversions?

GTO
06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
What size front and rear sprockets are you guys using on your ATC 70 110/125 Lifan conversions?

Mosh
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
I run srock rear, and use either a 14 or 15 front on the 125 engines. It is really preference on what engine you are running, and how snappy you want them to be.
With an Auto Clutch 125, the 15 makes them less jerky on take off. They are so snappy I wouldnt go any bigger on the rear sprocket then stock.

GTO
06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I run srock rear, and use either a 14 or 15 front on the 125 engines. It is really preference on what engine you are running, and how snappy you want them to be.
With an Auto Clutch 125, the 15 makes them less jerky on take off. They are so snappy I wouldnt go any bigger on the rear sprocket then stock.

I have ordered an semi auto 125, I didn't want it to be too fast so I was considering 13/38 or 14/38 but I believe the 38 will not fit under the chain guard.
You see I need to order the rear sprocket ASAP(I cannot get it here in SA) as my brother is in Houston until the 6th July which will save me a lot on shipping costs.
So it is best to stick with the 36 then and rather experiment with the front sprocket(which I can easily obtain here)?

Mosh
06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
I have ordered an semi auto 125, I didn't want it to be too fast so I was considering 13/38 or 14/38 but I believe the 38 will not fit under the chain guard.
You see I need to order the rear sprocket ASAP(I cannot get it here in SA) as my brother is in Houston until the 6th July which will save me a lot on shipping costs.
So it is best to stick with the 36 then and rather experiment with the front sprocket(which I can easily obtain here)?
That is what I would do. Go stock on the rear, and buy a handful of frt sprockets to test with. They are way cheaper and easier to swap.
IMO, the 15's work really well on the semi auto 125. It is not too snappy, which keeps it more of a camp cruiser, but still runs good up top too. If you go lower than 15 in the front, it is going to be too wheelie happy, same as going up in the rear.

GTO
06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
That is what I would do. Go stock on the rear, and buy a handful of frt sprockets to test with. They are way cheaper and easier to swap.
IMO, the 15's work really well on the semi auto 125. It is not too snappy, which keeps it more of a camp cruiser, but still runs good up top too. If you go lower than 15 in the front, it is going to be too wheelie happy, same as going up in the rear.
Thanks for the advice, I am going to order the 36 rear right away.

atc350xer
06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Also, I don't know about your specific motor, but most with most conversions, you have to eliminate the chain guard, as it's shaped to fit the stock left side case... unless you're running a pull starter conversion kit, maybe?

rjs89ia
06-26-2012, 03:56 PM
i myself just put the chain gaurd back on and the open area will be an easier spot to clean and lube the chain. it was filled with dirt and grime anyways when i took it off so its not like your doin much to keep stuff clean having it all covered up anyways

atc350xer
06-26-2012, 08:38 PM
ah, on mine, the sprocket cover was in the way

murfman
06-26-2012, 08:42 PM
I am running 15T fronts on my 110 Lifans and they pull strong with a decent top end. Another nice thing with the 15 front and stock rear is you do not need a 1/2 link. I tried a 14 front but could not get the chain tight without a 1/2 link.

GTO
06-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Also, I don't know about your specific motor, but most with most conversions, you have to eliminate the chain guard, as it's shaped to fit the stock left side case... unless you're running a pull starter conversion kit, maybe?

I have ordered the spacer for the pull start from DrAtv its on its way to my brothers hotel in Houston, the rest of the pull start conversion I will do here.

GTO
06-27-2012, 02:08 AM

I have ordered the spacer for the pull start from DrAtv its on its way to my brothers hotel in Houston, the rest of the pull start conversion I will do here.

GTO
07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
I am running 15T fronts on my 110 Lifans and they pull strong with a decent top end. Another nice thing with the 15 front and stock rear is you do not need a 1/2 link. I tried a 14 front but could not get the chain tight without a 1/2 link.

I ended up buying a almost new pit bike with a Lifan 110 electric start engine in it as an engine donor.
The pit bike wasn't much more than an engine here.
What is nice is the only extras I have to get is a fuel tap otherwise every thing else is on the pit bike.
But I was trying to fit the chain tonight but I have to much slack with the 14 front sprocket that came with the bike and the new 36 rear I bought.
Will a 15 take that up like you say above, is it that much bigger?
Also what is a 1/2 link?

murfman
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
The 15 tooth front / 36 tooth rear will work. A half link is wide on one end and narrow on the other so you can end up with an odd number of links in your chain. If you want to run the 14 tooth front you will need to take out one inner and one outer link and replace them with a half link or as you already found out you will not have enough adjustment to set the chain tension properly

murfman
07-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Here is a picture:

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/008236/008236721324xl.jpg

They are also known as offset links. I hope this helps, Murf

GTO
08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
The 15 tooth front / 36 tooth rear will work. A half link is wide on one end and narrow on the other so you can end up with an odd number of links in your chain. If you want to run the 14 tooth front you will need to take out one inner and one outer link and replace them with a half link or as you already found out you will not have enough adjustment to set the chain tension properly

I have ordered a 15 sprocket seems like the best way to go.