rdlsz24
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
cool old article

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC/Photo0007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC/Photo0008.jpg

Rob

Escanabajosh
06-22-2012, 10:59 AM
that 2nd picture with all the wheelers on the beach....the 4th machine on the left from bottom,the one right after #59....what kinda machine is that and whats with the fork?

DasUberKraut
06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Good read. Thanks bro. :beer

El Camexican
06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
that 2nd picture with all the wheelers on the beach....the 4th machine on the left from bottom,the one right after #59....what kinda machine is that and whats with the fork?

Good eye, WTF is that thing? It seems to be a single sided swing arm type suspension. Does anyone recognize the rad shroud? It also looks like there is a shock reservoir mounted near the steering neck. It appears to be high end whatever it is.

TrickyDickII
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Good eye, WTF is that thing? It seems to be a single sided swing arm type suspension. Does anyone recognize the rad shroud? It also looks like there is a shock reservoir mounted near the steering neck. It appears to be high end whatever it is.

I believe that's a leading link fork suspension. The front fender from #59 hides a little bit of it. I'm not sure of what brand it is. I was thinking it was a KTM conversion but I don't find anything that matches those shrouds and tank. Pretty cool though.

El Camexican
06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I believe that's a leading link fork suspension. The front fender from #59 hides a little bit of it. I'm not sure of what brand it is. I was thinking it was a KTM conversion but I don't find anything that matches those shrouds and tank. Pretty cool though.

The stripes on the rider's jersey look old time KTM and that circular looking decal on the shroud could be a KTM oval if the shroud is flared out enough that it cut out the center and make it look like a circle. Hopefully someone on here over the age of 40 will recognize it. I'd love to know where it is now.

bkm
06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
The shoruds look like '84 KTM 495 but the tank looks different. It maybe a desert tank and that is what is making it look different.

Chazz of Blades
06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
That looks like old KTM design, check out this and compare. This is a '89 KTM 350 I had a couple months back. It's not exact, but it's the closest match that I personally know of.

yaegerb
06-22-2012, 03:31 PM
its a leading link front. Tricky Dick II was spot on. Here is another link to an OLD post within 3WW.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/27611-Strange-Kawasaki

dcreel
06-22-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm pretty sure its a Phillips KTM. They also made racing sidehacks..

WIkid500
06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Awesome article!!

Jeb
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
If I remember right, that beach race is from Europe. And I think the strange trike is a KTM conversion. We probably discussed it on here sometime years ago. That picture was used a few times by the mags back in the day. If memory serves. It's pretty neat to see old posts dredged up from years ago!

sinsayers
06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Great post, I was only 8 or so during these events but I do recall seeing this picture before as well. If only I could find my old mags from those days, they are stowed away at my grandmothers old house in the attic I think. Thanks again for the upload, great read

atc007
06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
That pic is the Veronica Beach race held in Holland. It was the Super Bowl back then,,as you can see! They covered it with multiple Helicopters. Barry Mccarty from down the road here won the Overall a few? times. Sundahl won it a cpl i believe. GOOD times....

Deathrocket
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
why can't dirt wheels come out with a retro mag!? they said.. they weren't gonna forget about us.. what happened? and when was the last time anyone saw a 3 wheeler in dirt wheels? cmon car craft meets dirt wheels.. man i wish i could been there back in the day.. ohwell..

Chazz of Blades
06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
why can't dirt wheels come out with a retro mag!? they said.. they weren't gonna forget about us.. what happened? and when was the last time anyone saw a 3 wheeler in dirt wheels? cmon car craft meets dirt wheels.. man i wish i could been there back in the day.. ohwell..

I normally see a three wheeler in Dirt Wheels every couple issues. Of course they're in the Reader's Rides section..........

Jeb
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
I'd dare say that the boys at Dirtwheels know absolutely nothing about 3-wheelers anymore. They'd have to come here to this forum to do their research! :-D

oldskool83
06-23-2012, 02:04 AM
24 years happened to dirt wheels. i stopped getting dirtrider mags because thats different also now, anything after late 90's went down hill. different editors different coverage...if you want a vintage dirtwheels start submitting a million dif 3 wheeler things a month. lol

jon jon
06-23-2012, 02:36 AM
this add makes me want to do a vintage build.. complete with vintage stickers and vintage gear. hmmmmmm

El Camexican
06-23-2012, 09:14 AM
It’s all about the buck$. I’m guessing if someone wrote a good three wheeler article any motocross or endure magazine might print it (Maybe we could do that:wondering?) But as far as marketing something with a three wheeler on the cover every month you have a better chance of getting advertisers to place ads in Dinosaur Digest.

Deathrocket
06-23-2012, 11:23 AM
well why not? they have magazines for just about every other niche out there, check out all the weird ones at Narnes and Boble... lol lets start a news letter! that would be cool!

Zach
04-05-2014, 04:12 AM
Good Read so Bump

czac
04-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Is there a way to get back issues from this far back? That would be cool if they would do a re print of these mags!