PDA

View Full Version : My 350X Project

Jeb
06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I know it's still ugly, but I'm proud of the fact that I have a fresh set of straight forks on it! New oil, seals, and oem boots. Plus new front hub bearings and seals. Out back, I have the OEM style wheels on her now too. Shout out to Tyler54 for hooking me up with some good parts. In it's defense it does start and run good.

I bought new bulbs for the headlights and they worked for a short time. What would make it blow-out light bulbs? Like it's putting too much current into them or something. Oh! And what's the trick to hooking up a decompression cable? I have a factory service manual and it talks about installing the cable after you've had the head off. I know there's got to be a way to replace a cable.

Yamaha_Rules69
06-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Looks like she is coming along, and will be a nice ride when finished. The headlights are monitored by the voltage regulator, located near the rear of the frame, the regulator is square, and has air fins for cooling. These are common to go bad, and when they do, the headlights will blow. The part should be fairly cheap, I replaced one on my tri z with one from a banshee, looked the same, and cost about 10 dollars off ebay. As for the decompression cable, I cant help you on that one, I havent messed with the one on my 350x yet, Ive had it for a few months, and rode it several times, but my motor will be coming out shortly for a rebuild (it smokes). Good luck, and hope to see more pics along the way!

WIkid500
06-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Heck yeah! Some sanding and buffing those plastics and a new seat cover that thing will look cherry! If only we could find them half that nice around here without costing a mint.

sinsayers
06-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Make sure you have a working tail light! These are designed to have both tail and head lights working at the same time, my X was popping head lights until I installed a working tail light.

CorbinKale
06-25-2012, 12:21 AM
I have a special place in my heart for the 350X. Looks like you have a great one to work with!

Keepah Rolln
06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice. someday I hope to find a cheap complete 350x that needs alot work to do a full resto on..

Jeb
06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys! I gave $500 for it, so I don't mind dumping some money into it.

I do not have a working a tail light! I will try that and then I will proceed with the voltage regulator. Gotta order more bulbs though.

I'm pretty mad at it though because I've had the 350X a month and have dropped money into it and just Saturday pulled the sprocket cover for the first time and started cleaning up the grease and found that some jack-@$$ welded the sprocket onto the countershaft.

For the life of me I never could figure out why someone would ever think that is an acceptable thing to do.

:mad:

sinsayers
06-25-2012, 11:06 PM
That is rough man, cant wait to see a video of her zipping around