PDA

View Full Version : will an 86 big red alternator/stator work in an 85?

86T3
06-20-2012, 05:03 PM
The stator in my 85 got chewed up by the starter gear and i was wondering if the one out of my 86 will work in it. They look a little different but have the same plugs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

86T3
06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I didn't think it would work so i took it to the local bike shop and showed it to them. They didn't think it would work either. So now i'm wondering if i change the flywheel along with the stator i might be in business. The only wiring harness difference on the 85s and the 86-87s that i can tell is that the CDI boxes take different plugs. The 85 has a six pin connector and the 86-87s have two separate plugs with a total of six wires going into it. I think i'm going to try this tonight unless i get someone saying for sure that it wont work. kb0nly, any ideas?

kb0nly
06-21-2012, 06:53 PM
If the crankshaft size is the same and the flywheel will fit then i would try it, see if it all fits. I think the main reason everyone is saying no is that the stator diameter is slightly different, but if the flywheel and stator are both swapped as a matching pair i don't see why not. I would swap them, and if everything goes together good i would crank it over with the kill switch set to off just to make sure everything moves as it should first.

The 86-87 went to that new dual plug type CDI but if you ever need to replace one i can tell you that you can replace it with a cheap CDI and plug kit, cause i have done one!

86T3
06-21-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm gonna head out and try to get it done tonight. I don't know if the axle bolt will pop off the flywheel like the older ones, if not i'll have to take them to the shop tomorrow. I'm just gonna slap it together with no gasket or starter and kick it over to see if it works. Here goes nothing.

86T3
06-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Negatory on the axle working. Off to the shop tomorrow

kb0nly
06-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Ahh ok. Yeah its a metric bolt for the flywheel but the axle doesn't always work. I just bought a bolt from the local farm supply store so i had a flywheel remover.

86T3
06-22-2012, 06:13 PM
The verdict is in. Swapping the 86-87 alternator and flywheel works with the 85 CDI. I finally got to take it on a longer than 1 minute ride, i'm very happy with it. I think a new brake drum is in its future though, the pads are almost new and the cam has to turn almost completely sideways for the brakes to grab which makes it get stuck. Thanks kb0nly, your knowledge really helped me out.

kb0nly
06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Awesome!! And yeah my brakes were kinda doing the same thing. I took some sandpaper to the drum then cleaned the drum and pads with brake cleaner then adjusted the cable a bit, you might just need to adjust it and do some cleaning.

86T3
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM
i've had it apart 3 or 4 times. The shaft moves freely through the backing plate and all the springs have good tension. I didn't measure the drum but is looks pretty wore. The cables are new also.

kb0nly
06-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Ok sounds like its replacement time. Mine still squeek after every time it sits for a day or so, humidity and rain rust the drum and it takes off that rust on the first ride.