PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 200e will not idle hot

Honda200s84
06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
i have a yamaha 200e and i cant get it to idle hot for nothing, in the morning if i go out and give the start button a tap it will fire right up and purr like a kitten but if i go on a 10 minuit ride and try to get it to idle it wont..what could be the problem? it just came back from the shop where it got a carb clean/tune but he would not have ridden it so to him it would sound like it was running fine.

Flossyb20
06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
If it idles well cold, and not hot, the carb is set too rich (like the choke is on) on idle. Try turning your mixture screw out 1/4-1/2 turn (this will lean the carb out over the entire range) and see if that helps...other wise your idle jet may be too big. Also, have you tried turning the idle up on it? It should really be set once the engine is warmed up anyway.

swampthang
06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
My 225dx Had the same problem. It was caused by what I believe was 2 problems. 1 it wouldn't idle for more then a few seconds hot or cold with the crankcase vent running into the airbox. 2 the idle was set to low. I turned it up so it idles kind of fast when you first start it but after it gets warmed up it idles itself back down to normal. I would try taking the crackcase vent off and see if that helps. If it does just run it up out of the way instead of into the airbox. Then get it nice and hot then set the idle to where it needs to be.

Honda200s84
06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
could it be the choke is set wrong? are ther parameters to set the choke?

dougspcs
06-18-2012, 01:57 PM
But, wait now..isn't this your uncles rig you were talking about in a different thread. Burns oil pretty bad?

If so then your engine compression is low..this plays havok with trying to get your carb setup right because your intake vacuum is low and the blowby is forcing too much pressure in your crankcase (kinda what 'swampthang' was talking about)

I had a Honda 185 last year that had the same problem, top end rebuild fixed the burning oil issue and I was able to get the carb dialed right it!!

You may be fighting a losing battle until you deal with the top end my friend..

Honda200s84
06-18-2012, 02:03 PM
it is the same one my good friend and i was afraid you would say that...i am not rebuilding to top end untill i
aquire it for myself so i will have to live with the idle i guess..at least it starts good

dougspcs
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
You know we could send some guys up there to lean on your uncle if you like...:twisted:

Maybe he could be 'convinced' to give it to you!!

:lol:

Honda200s84
06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
that would be fine with me...haha